Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finally able to give some good info so just thought I'd update some people on key programming

Here was my problem...I bought my 2002 with only one key. The key however was not a stock key i.e., not a one of the two remote keys, valet key or wallet key....it was a "Toyota" key w/no remote. It was able to start the car and open the glove box and trunk so I figured it was a copy of a master.......

Because it was the only key I had and the fact that I had to open everything manually was a pain so began my long and confusing search of what to do. After searching for hours on this site as well as others and calling the stealership I was kind of confused on what I should do. Some where saying I need a new ecu and some where saying I could reflash/reprogram the ecu all depending on the year of my car yada yada yada. There were a lot of different answers....

.....I found out that you do need at least one already programmed remote key for your car to program another key
.....If you don’t, you need to have the ecu reflashed to program any keys.....not replaced
.....You can have the ecu reflashed

Well here’s what happened in my scenario.....

The people in the dealership are a bunch of monkeys (at least mine) I was told that I needed a new ecu and had to buy two master remote keys at $300 a piece and the ecu was $2000 plus install charges....."Bull Crap"...to get new keys... are you nuts.

Well it turns out that your local locksmiths can buy as many keys as you want and cut them and guess what...reprogram the key or the ecu if need be.....some people where against a locksmith messing with the ecu of their cars...with a lot of new cars having this or similar locking systems the smiths need to keep up to date if they want to keep in business. The locksmith ordered genuine Lexus keys and cut them....or you can order them and have the cut though the net or dealership. The locksmith had the scan tool to connect to ecu and program the key and/or the ecu...In my case (remember I had the non original "Toyota" copied key)....my key was able to open the trunk and glove box so I figure it was a master. Well the scan tool was showing that ecu wasn’t reading my key as a master key so he couldn't just program the new key and be done with it the locksmith reflashed the ecu and then programmed the new remote keys. Both keys work and everything is fine.

I was able to get the keys for $150 a peace and the locksmith charged me $100 for the work he did...Said he does this all the time now with other Lexus', BMW, VW, and Mercedes.

That’s my knowledge and experience hope it helps you...any question fell free to write back

·
Registered
678 Posts
you could of went to ebay and bought a key off of sewell lexus and had them cut the key to your VIN. I did that and paid about 110 shipped. All you have to do is show proof of ownership.

Then you can get the guide on how to program the key through club lexus for free. Kinda tough though took me and my friend about 30 min to program it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts