Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,
my key broke in 2 and now i need to get a new shell and blade. the website asks for a key code but i dont know where to find it. does anyone out there know where to find it? otherwise theyll be charging me an extra $15 to get it with my VIN #.

thanks!

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
hey guys,
my key broke in 2 and now i need to get a new shell and blade. the website asks for a key code but i dont know where to find it. does anyone out there know where to find it? otherwise theyll be charging me an extra $15 to get it with my VIN #.

thanks!
Keycode? When my key broke it was the plastic shell. You can either buy a new one from Ebay there like 50$ or the dealer which is where I went for like 98$

·
Registered
796 Posts
The key should have a little sticker on with the number but they come of easily but it might be on the driver side door sill also where all the other car info is. Just open your driver door and look down.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I was in the same postion. I bought my key on ebay and it came with instrutions on how to completely program it and if you have trouble they give you a phone number you can call 24-7. Then take it to alcatraz keys in san diego and he will cut it for $30. Thats what i did and everything worked out perfect.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hey guys I am glad I found this topic. I recently purchased my IS and my SHELL is broken, my chip is still in-tact; but like I said, just the shell is broken.

I see a shell here on eBay for $8.00 and that looks awesome. Is there any way that the key MOUNTS into the shell? I have one key here in front of me and on top of it, it looks like there is a hole that allows you to press it into one part of the shell, then just close the shell around it so it stays tight.

Can anyone confirm this? I don't want to buy the shell if that's not what I need. I will provide pictures if this helps, and sorry - don't mean to hijack too much, better than creating two very similar threads.

EDIT:

Well I have everything in front of me and it looks like the key post is pressed into part of the shell, so I have to get the key cut. It looks like the Lexus key is laser cut, so I'm guessing I have to give the dealer my VIN and they will cut it for me, any idea how much that'll cost? 50 bucks?

·
Registered
206 Posts
I also need the key code for a friend.. He owns a GS400. I need the code so that the company he is buying the key from can cut key. Does anyone know if it can be read from vin or anywhere on the car. Thanks

·
Registered
698 Posts
When my key cracked at the base, i ordered an eBay key, had it cut at a locksmith and swapped the remote/transponder...Still works fine till this day..

·
Registered
37 Posts
Here is where the key code is for those who have their emergency flat key. Mine was in the owners manual book in my glovebox

1 - 10 of 10 Posts