Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I accidentaly put around a gallon of kerosene in my gas tank. Didn't notice the label on the gas can... I filled it halfway up w/ midgrade gas before I noticed my mistake It sounded weird on the way to the gas station, I figured just bc I had left my gas tank so low (which is why i was filling it w/ the tank at home anyway) but after I filled it halfway it drove fine. What's my best course of action? The damn thing is paid off in 3 months and i hope I didn't just destroy it :-/

I did search btw

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
For the sake of your engine, your best course of action is to drain the fuel from your gas tank. Either try to do it yourself or you are gonna have to get it towed to a mechanic or dealership to get your tank drained. I also advise that you stop using mid grade gasoline in the IS300 engine. It requires use of only the high grade premium gasoline.

You are only saving yourself 3 dollars at most when filling the gas tank with 16 gallons when using mid range gas over the premium gas. In the long run, premium gas will sustain your engine longer and save you possible costs in repairs in the future not to mention give you better gas mileage and performance.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Yeah I barely EVER put anything other than premium. I was just strapped for cash this week. I won't be able to afford a mechanic. So... siphon the tank out?
Ya, siphon the tank out and make sure to have some premium gas handy to pour back into it. Otherwise, you wont be able to drive to the gas station. lol

Also, add a bottle of good quality fuel system cleaner to your next FULL gas tank, to help clean out the system. I used the platinum STP brand in both my rx300 and is300 and have not had any problems.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Remove your lower back seat portion, its just two platics black tabs you have to pull on and lift up. Then you wil see a plating, remove it and you then have access to your fuel pump. Remove the fuel line and put another hose on the car leading outside the cabin into a recepticle, turn the car on engine off so the fuel pump primes itself, in this case it will just keep running all the fuel out of the hose itno a recepticle.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Remove your lower back seat portion, its just two platics black tabs you have to pull on and lift up. Then you wil see a plating, remove it and you then have access to your fuel pump. Remove the fuel line and put another hose on the car leading outside the cabin into a recepticle, turn the car on engine off so the fuel pump primes itself, in this case it will just keep running all the fuel out of the hose itno a recepticle.
Isnt this bad for the fuel pump? Once theres no more gasoline?

·
Premium Member
11,575 Posts
^ It still won't make the tank go completely dry.

If it was me I'd just drop the tank, but I don't know how capable the OP is, better safe than sorry

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
^ It still won't make the tank go completely dry.

If it was me I'd just drop the tank, but I don't know how capable the OP is, better safe than sorry
Unfortunatly it will not however if you have a 2-3 gallons of extra fuel to feed the tank. Kerosien is denser than gasoline so it will be at the bottom as the gasoline will float on the top.

In my shop we had some idiots put E85 in thier tank and once in awhile you get a moron that put desiel in the tank. We do this and it works.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Ok for a different perspective.

In England When I student it was common to put a few gallons of kerosene in a tank full of Gas to save money. Kerosene was not taxed at the motor fuel rate, so it was half the price. ( I didn't do this but others I was friends with did)

So fill it all the way up with highest octane premium and / or add octane booster and run it down low and re-fill with premium and you are all OK.

The knock sensor would have probably protected the engine when it was close to 50% kerosene, once you 1/2 filled it the octane would have come up considerably.

the best octane number i could find is about 20, so 7 gallons of 90 mid grade and one gallon of kerseone would give about 81.25 which is clearly too low.

add 7 gallons of 93 to the half full tank you get 87, still not wonderful.

Add octane booster to get it up another 6 points ???

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
ohh and by the way Saab made dual fuel cars, gas to start the car then kerosene to run, so its not crazy to add kerosene so long as the engine can take the lower Octane.

And the references i found says it mixes fine.

·
Premium Member
4,418 Posts
Frankly if it is a gallon of Kerosene, I wouldnt worry too much about it. However drive very gently till you can get the gas as low as possible, then fill back up with 93 octane and a can of seafoam for good measure.
Actually after reading your post I think you should add the Seafoam (or your favorite choice of octane booster) to the half tank you have currently

To the guy who stated gas will float on kerosene, you might wanna recheck your organic chem notes again, It will mix, not float

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.