Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys im looking at buying this double din. The main reason for choosing this unit is the fact that it has 5V preouts(which is a must). I also love the fact that it has the USB ports, and 2 of them at that. The kenwood also doesnt have a hideaway box everytihng plugs into the back of the radio. I want a 7in screen and i think the kenwood is the most cleanest unit out there that will look good. I dont really need navi but I guess its a plus if the unit i get comes with it. I really like all the features and specs of this unit.

I have a few questions before I buy this.

Does anyone know if a hard drive will work with the kenwood unit. The fact that it has a USB port, msot external hard drives use a USB connection, so I would be able to store movies, music, almost like a carputer but not really. I actually would like to know if this works b/c thats a big plus.

Another thing, does anyone know if there is a dvd bypass for the kenwood unit, so that you can watch dvds with the car in motion?

Does anyone know if this unit will fit in our cars, I know I have seen people rockin the pioneers so i dont see why it wouldnt fit, but ya never know?

Lastly has anyone here owned this unit and can give me there feedback on it?

heres a link for the unit (of course i would never buy from crutchfield b/c its overpriced but its just a link to show you) Kenwood DDX8019 In-dash DVD/CD receiver with 6.95" screen Fits double-DIN (4" tall) openings at Crutchfield.com

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
a lil research will do you good :)
you'll find that the 7019 (which i just got) is very similar to the 8019 (basically the excelon model) and as you mentioned all you get extra is the additional usb port along with the 5v preout (honestly not that big of a deal unless you're going for a SPL type of system) and the excelon name (which i think comes with a longer warranty? not sure). 2v preouts will be just fine if you plan on the basic system... headunit, amp for compenents, and an amp for the subs. if 2v preouts were that lame then the units wouldn't come that way.
so if all that is worth the extra couple hundred or so then by all means get the 8019.

now as for what the usb actually reads... i currently have a creative zen vision W (multimedia player) hooked up and it reads the mp3 files as well as all the pictures. the unit won't recognize video files thru the usb port (it wasn't designed for that). thou if you have a ipod video or itouch you can get the adapter and the unit will play video and audio thru the usb port (idock to usb with a video & audio mini cable). i'm not a fan of apple so i don't know how well that works. as far as the speed of the usb it apparently depends on the actual usb device being used. look on the kenwood site, they have more info on that (or look in the 7019 thread a lil below, i added a link in there).

as for the screen, the manual says the resolution is 480x324 but remember this is a 16x9 widescreen so the pixels are actually rectangular versus square. so, if you plan on making custom backgrounds i found that the best size (so far, gotta do more research) for backgrounds is 480x270 (when composing in photoshop, or any program that uses square pixels).

one of the best things about these newer kenwood decks is the ability to play back divx and xvid files. and they play back to back! :) big plus! well actually it takes a few seconds in between each file to load. either way makes it much better then some other units i've seen.

my conclusion to date (i've only had the 7019 in my car for 1 week) is that this interface works much better then the previous kenwood double dins, i swapped out the 7015 for the 7019. so compared to the 7015, the 8019 (as well as the 7019 and the 7100) are way better overall.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
a lil research will do you good :)
you'll find that the 7019 (which i just got) is very similar to the 8019 (basically the excelon model) and as you mentioned all you get extra is the additional usb port along with the 5v preout (honestly not that big of a deal unless you're going for a SPL type of system) and the excelon name (which i think comes with a longer warranty? not sure). 2v preouts will be just fine if you plan on the basic system... headunit, amp for compenents, and an amp for the subs. if 2v preouts were that lame then the units wouldn't come that way.
so if all that is worth the extra couple hundred or so then by all means get the 8019.

now as for what the usb actually reads... i currently have a creative zen vision W (multimedia player) hooked up and it reads the mp3 files as well as all the pictures. the unit won't recognize video files thru the usb port (it wasn't designed for that). thou if you have a ipod video or itouch you can get the adapter and the unit will play video and audio thru the usb port (idock to usb with a video & audio mini cable). i'm not a fan of apple so i don't know how well that works. as far as the speed of the usb it apparently depends on the actual usb device being used. look on the kenwood site, they have more info on that (or look in the 7019 thread a lil below, i added a link in there).

as for the screen, the manual says the resolution is 480x324 but remember this is a 16x9 widescreen so the pixels are actually rectangular versus square. so, if you plan on making custom backgrounds i found that the best size (so far, gotta do more research) for backgrounds is 480x270 (when composing in photoshop, or any program that uses square pixels).

one of the best things about these newer kenwood decks is the ability to play back divx and xvid files. and they play back to back! :) big plus! well actually it takes a few seconds in between each file to load. either way makes it much better then some other units i've seen.

my conclusion to date (i've only had the 7019 in my car for 1 week) is that this interface works much better then the previous kenwood double dins, i swapped out the 7015 for the 7019. so compared to the 7015, the 8019 (as well as the 7019 and the 7100) are way better overall.
thanks, yea i did my research, i rather have 5v, i have a full sound system in my car now with 2v single din radio, and i had a 5v be4 that but that radio shit the bed, imho i think the 5v makes a difference.

thats good to know about the usb, and the divx is a sick feature i have so many movies in avi format thats actually pretty awesome. Im not a fan of apple either and never owned an ipod and refuse to buy one...haha so im on your side with that.

i also hear the bypass for the video is pretty easy, you just ground the parking brake wire correct?

one more thing as far as the double din dash kit goes, is there any other kit out there besides the jdm one, b/c i dont want to relocate the heated seat buttons i want all those buttons below to stay where the are?

·
Registered
157 Posts
YEs there is a Metra kit out which matches perfectly that i have in my car. With the metra you still use the original switch positions below it just raplaces the radio. I currently have the 8019 and love it. For video plaback just connect the parking brake wire into your negative wire or ground it. It wont work with a hard drive that needs a seperate power supply, but u can get a thumb drive and store a ton of music and videos and it will play them.

Question
How do you get video into divx format?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
YEs there is a Metra kit out which matches perfectly that i have in my car. With the metra you still use the original switch positions below it just raplaces the radio. I currently have the 8019 and love it. For video plaback just connect the parking brake wire into your negative wire or ground it. It wont work with a hard drive that needs a seperate power supply, but u can get a thumb drive and store a ton of music and videos and it will play them.

Question
How do you get video into divx format?
nice where did you get your metra kit from?

divx is a type of player/program i believe, i know that avi video files use divx to play them, im not sure mpg or mpeg files will work with divx but i kno avi files do for sure

would you happen to have pictures of your setup?

·
Registered
157 Posts
I got the metra kit from a local audio shop or you can order them online. They are easy to find. I dont have a picture but i will take one tomorrwo and put it up here. How do you turn/convert a dvd into .avi format or divx?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got the metra kit from a local audio shop or you can order them online. They are easy to find. I dont have a picture but i will take one tomorrwo and put it up here. How do you turn/convert a dvd into .avi format or divx?
alright thanks alot

umm i dont really know, if you download movies most of them come in avi format, and i beleive music videos come in avi format as well not a 100% sure on that though

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
as for the dash kits, i'd say the only option is the oem toyota part from japan! as its made for our car by toyota. the other 2 options are fine, i just feel the oem part fits and looks better. if you're concerned about the heater buttons, well if you're savy with a dremel then you can modify the lower piece with the japan part... check the other thread i think thats what he did.

as for video files, they're all "avi" files... divx & xvid are the codec. rip your dvd any way you normally would ;) then use something like virtualdub to reincode for divx or xvid (or any other codec you like i guess). just remember!!! most dvds are anamorphic (sp?) 16:9 with rectangular pixels, the divx and xvid codecs are stable with square pixels (you can do retangular but not 100% stable in all players) so you will need to do some math (or get a calculator online that will do it for you) to get the aspect ratio correct.
or better yet, like most other people... just download avis from your favorite site... ie; torrents, etc.
stage6.com is a good site, basically its the offical divx site that hosts the files, kinda like youtube just better quality vids (and cuz of that it takes a lil longer to load)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Installed kenwood 7019 a week ago and I was watching the video the other day while driving... almost slammed my car into a minivan. stopped few inches away from it. Just replaced my tires couple months ago so that helped! Somebody can say that he is a super driver and that this will never happen to him, btw i thought the same about myself 'cause I can parallel park 24' truck while having a lunch and talking on the phone at the same time (my job includes driving a truck) So keep your eyes on the road

·
Registered
157 Posts
8019 Picture

Sorry it took me so long here is a photo taken with my phone sorry its not the greatest quality

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts