Lexus IS Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am speaking about a stock car, (or near stock). Even if you only add 30hp to the car...the engine and transmission, are now handling power they were not engineered for. Once you start modifying, you go away from the intent of the original engineers. People will put on a turbo, and then blame the car when it fails. It wasn't designed for it, that's on you. I know a couple of guys who have 1st gen, is300's. 5-speed. Basically Stock. Both of them got over 250k original miles. They are not into drifting. I also owned one for a year, but sold it after getting into mountain sports, (wanted 4x4 and needed more space for gear, mountain bikes, etc.) Casually looking for another, it left a great impression on me. Nothing major went wrong in my time of ownership. All positive vibes from the car.

Ok so its no surprise, Drifting is an abusive activity on most cars. Again, most civilian cars were not designed for it, yet people will blame the car. You are stressing the chassis for prolonged periods, and abusing the transmission. Not to mention many other parts are being stressed, that I am not aware of. Some people treat their possessions and equipment like trash. It is like part of their personality. I mean, just do a craigslist search, for a used s13 or s14, Nissan 240sx in your area. Most of those cars are ran into the ground, abused, look like a nightmare, and are washed up. Yet some of those wackjobs want $8k for some banged up, crooked chassis, high mileage, drifting stickers all over it, etc. That reminds me, since I am in the market for an is300, to be wary of cars with Drift stickers now. The is300 apparently can't hold up well if you drift it often.

In regard to Nissan, and the 350Z (with CD009 tranny). I personally have not seen an HR 350Z with over 250k original miles. And if I did, would like to know some things from the owner. Those cars do not inspire the same confidence in ownership, that Toyota's did. The Build Quality did not match a Toyota. (And I have owned a 95 Nissan Pathfinder for 4 years, the 4runner had much better build quality). At the end of the day, if someone gave me the option: Here are two used cars to make a DD, with equal, well-maintained ownership : a 93 Lexus SC300 with 100k original miles, or a 08 Nissan 350Z with 100k original miles, I would still take the Toyota. The Nissan would still make me uneasy, with small things going wrong, that could add up in cost, (getting nickel-and-dimed alot), and the potential for a big failure in the engine/transmission. That's just my perspective at this point, who knows I might try one out for a few years, and see how it goes. Seems like the form of 350Z to get, and a fun car.

·
Registered
767 Posts
You have bias mentality based on your experience and what you have heard, which is perfectly fine. A lot of people are like that. But you can't call all CD009 or Nissan car crap based off the few guys that blew up their transmission because they beat the crap out of it. It's like calling all w55 crap because 1/10th (made up percentage) of them blew up because the owner beat the crap out of it. Of course you are going to have the few transmissions that wasn't built correct and they crap out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The bias might come from experience, true. When I was a teenager, I worked as a pizza delivery driver. We had to use our personal vehicles. I saw many cars, try to handle that type of stress. The most bulletproof cars I saw, were 80's and 90's Toyotas. The Toyota pickups, Tacomas, Corollas, Camry's, and Celica's. Those Ford F-150's and Rangers would get run down pretty quick. Chevy, GMC, same story. There was a 2nd gen Frontier that didn't do too well. But much respect to the Nissan Hardbody, and 1st gen Frontier trucks, they could hold their own. Along with a few other Nissan cars, like those little 200sx's from the 90's. When you speak to several people over the years, and they give you same story, how Nissan in general cannot hold a candle to Toyota, from that era, then true, people come to conclusions. No doubt, the Nissan z32 300zx was a beautiful car. I knew a guy who owned one, a 300zx TT. He would complain alot. Terms such as, "high-maintenance", and "always in the shop," type of statements. Then, the 350Z was released years later. You cannot deny many of the early Nissan 350Z's were problem-laden. Why would a proud, longtime Toyota owner want to deal with that bs? The 350Z transmission seemed to be a dodgy one, especially pre-2007. Maybe you could trust it. After their first few years of production, I saw many complaints online, and stopped paying attention to them. Apparently they made a good effort, 4 years later after release, with the HR 350Z and CD009 transmission, honestly didn't even know about that update.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Hello guys,

Thank you for the advice! I finished college and I'm happy to report that I did sell my first IS.

I bought another one with lower mileage! 188 000km, 5 speed/LSD, GGP. Brian from B auto helped me source it out all the from Winnipeg. We shipped the car using Livingston all the way here in Ontario!

Attachments

·
Registered
576 Posts
Congrats, that looks like it's in great shape for the mileage! I would pull off the rear "LEXUS" emblems on the left of the trunk, since it's missing the "IS300" on there.

What's your plans for this one?

21 - 25 of 25 Posts