Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
NOLXS4X said:
anyone here into karting? If so what type? Also, do any of your auto-x groups have classes for karts?
I'm starting to get into it (Sprint). Not at autox levels yet, actually far from it. Hopefully I get my butt over to the Jim Hall Karting School (Ventura) this year, if not next year. The karts I've seen at Autox's are shifter type and they are ridiculously fast.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My son and I are in sprint karting as well. I've never been to an auto-x event but I would certainly bring the karts if allowed. I'll probably have to check locally to see if allowed...was just asking generally. Anyone else?

Speedtrap...what chassis/engine combination do you run?

·
Registered
269 Posts
I autoxed my IS for a year then retired it because of wear on the suspension and the fact that I was going against 3 fully prepped Integra Type R's, and I couldn't compete without spending a lot of money. So instead I bought a Kart. The thing is freaking crazy, and I can continue to race with my autox club at the solo2 events.

I ran into some problems though so I have to sell the kart so if you guys are interested you're welcome to write me about it. Kart's are totally different from cars though, and I know that in So Cal there are at least 5 tracks within 2 hours of OC where you can go race. There are some 10-30 minutes within OC too. Mine is a Tony 125cc. It's had a lot of work on it though so intead of the stock 25 hp, it's putting out 44 (according to the dyno sheet that the previous owner told me about, but I haven't done a dyno myself). So this thing is a bullet. I do know there is one other built engine in the area and he isn't as fast as me (and I weigh 35 pounds more than him).

Anyone should give it a shot if they get the chance.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I ran a full season of Autocross in 1999 in a Trackmagic 125 shifter which included all of the west coast National Tours/Pros and the National Championship. I helped establish the F125 class as well as the Formula Junior class in the SCCA San Francisco Region. I was chair of the committee that wrote the Junior Kart rules/classes for the National SCCA events (they'll be officially implemented for the 2004 season). I currently am a committee member on the SCCA Kart advisory committee.

Had a total blast in the shifter. Kind of hard on the body (well, on an old fartz body such as mine). I went back to running a car when my kids started running in FJr as it was too difficult to be the pit crew for them and run the F125 at the same time. My son is currently running a methanol Briggs in Formula Junior 1 and unfortunately outright beats me more often than not! :-? Now however, my son is proficient and I will probably go back to running a shifter kart again for the 2004 season both regionally and Nationally.

So, at National level SCCA Solo2 events there are kart classes for the shifters(age 16+) and Juniors(ages 8-15). Regions are free to adopt or not adopt karts so you may find some regions around the country that don't have the kart classes or may allow the F125 class and not the Junior classes. You'll need to contact your local SCCA region to find out.

I'd be happy to discuss any questions you may have.

Pete

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.