Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anybody modded the spoiler? Im thinking of getting one but I hate the way the sides stick out/over the window line, has anybody cut them off and re-taped the inside?

Im thinking of getting one and also thinking of painting/vinyl black the roof and spoiler if installed but hate that bump it makes as it takes away from the lines of the car.

That or ill just paint the spoiler MSM with no mod and not paint the roof either.

Reactions: 5spdking

·
Latex salesman
5,633 Posts
I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say you hate the way the sides stick out/over the window line?

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I might have asked the question wrong, I was talking about the line that goes from the roof to the window, the Kaminari Spoiler's sides goes over that line to fasten creating a weird bump that looks out of place.

Well I didnt want that line but still wanted the spoiler so went to shaving the sides off until almost transparent while filling in the back or inside for more strength.

I think it looks much better now that the extra side bumps are not there.

The picture should say it all even if its from my phone.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
looks really good! are there any issues with attachment now that those pieces are gone?

+rep comin your way..

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The only thing I forgot about was some small rubber or 3m on the lower inside where it touches the glass to act as a buffer as I get some squeaking noise from the two material touching with the vibrations and movement on the car when I hit bumps or turn but I should be able to take care of that tuesday.

Reactions: Mayo

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
looks better. so it is mainly fashioned to stick only at the top? + rep for the clean look!

·
Latex salesman
5,633 Posts
Well I might have asked the question wrong, I was talking about the line that goes from the roof to the window, the Kaminari Spoiler's sides goes over that line to fasten creating a weird bump that looks out of place.

Well I didnt want that line but still wanted the spoiler so went to shaving the sides off until almost transparent while filling in the back or inside for more strength.

I think it looks much better now that the extra side bumps are not there.

The picture should say it all even if its from my phone.

I think you did an outstanding job. It definitely looks much cleaner. I may just do the same. Please elaborate how you cut this and fastened it to the roof and side. + rep for innovation! :approve:

·
Latex salesman
5,633 Posts
this is off topic but is that custom Exhaust piping and tips. or did you use a muff from something. the look is sweet.
It's a Borla catback exhaust on the right. I added another Borla universal muffler on the other side and put on the same tail pipe. It's pretty quiet too. Thanks buddy.

·
Registered
139 Posts
It might just be me but... is your lip kit darker then the car? I know msm is hard to match. +Rep on the spoiler though.. makes me want to get one.. lol

·
Latex salesman
5,633 Posts
Yes it is and it depends on the sun. TCM has 11 different shades and it's very hard to match. I have since removed the front lip and bumper in preparation for the Carson Tuned bumper. The side skirts are now sold and I just ordered a set of D.Speed Falcon sides from Japan.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Definitely looks a lot better. This was my second choice if I never find a UGO CF one. I may just settle for this and do what you did. The sides too pissed me off on this spoiler. It looked ugly with those side tabs.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Well it was a pain in the ass to do actually.

First I sanded the sides down slowly with a sander bit for a dermal until the original material was almost transparent but i was always going back to the car for a test fit.

Second I placed bondo on the inside of the spoiler where I was shaving and let it dry.

Third I continued to sand the paper thin plastic from the original material off and started smoothing the bondo the whole time going back to the car for test fits.

Once the outside was done I filled in more bondo where needed to the inside for support of some 3m and glue. Once filled and dried it was sanded for a smooth surface.

With new sides done you prep and paint and install.

Its fastened on the tops and sides but I forgot to add a small rubber lip on the inside of the lower spoiler where it touches the window which can lead to some screeching noises.

The whole thing was a pain in the ass due to the price of the spoiler and not wanting to ruin it along with all the test fitting and going back and forth but thats the price.

When I installed it I also used some epoxy to make sure it would not get stolen, I hope.

Here some closer pics, the work could be a bit cleaner but hey, its never been done and was first time.

·
Registered
95 Posts
It's a Borla catback exhaust on the right. I added another Borla universal muffler on the other side and put on the same tail pipe. It's pretty quiet too. Thanks buddy.
I was looking threw borlas web page they dont have any thing for the IS on there. was is for another car and you mod it?

·
Registered
594 Posts
its a custom exhaust^^

·
Latex salesman
5,633 Posts
I was looking threw borlas web page they dont have any thing for the IS on there. was is for another car and you mod it?
When the second gen IS came out, Borla discontinued their catback exhaust for the IS 01-05. This presented a dilemma and I was trying to decide what to do. I called Borla and told them my situation. They recommended the universal muffler and still carried the tail pipe that I had on the other one. Here's a few pics from underneath.......

·
Latex salesman
5,633 Posts
There are numerous exhausts out there that would do the trick. Do a search and you will find plenty. Tanabe makes a very nice exhaust that's quiet too. It also comes down to the look. For me, I wanted tail pipes that were flush with my rear piece. Other's like tails that stick out. There are a few people on this site who have also done dual-exhaust projects. I did a search on that too when I was looking into doing this a year ago.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts