Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've found a Typhoon intake on the internet. It seems like a good deal. $192. What do you guys think? Are there better intakes out there or cheaper ones? I've looked around and this one seems pretty good. thanks ahead for the input.

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
Keep in mind that after you get the K&N, you will not be able to install a front strut bar, the piping wont clear it cuz it will hit you hood when you close it...also, yes K&N seems to have a great reputation on .net, along with JoeZ, SRT, and injen. definitely wouldnt be a bad way to go, but i love my injen Gen3.

-Aaron

·
Registered
291 Posts
If you're going to get a K&N, get the FIPK.

Go to www.performancepeddler.com

It's about $250 with shipping. Comes with a heat shield, much better than the typhoon. I've had mine for 4500 miles now, about 3 months (includes a relocation trip/drive from Los Angeles to St. Louis) and have had no problems whatsoever. No check engine light, none of that. Yes, unfortunetly to room for a front bar. Otherwise though, it's a great intake that I'm sure many others would recommend for overall value. 8-9 horsepower gain (dyno sheet comes with install instructions to prove it) for $250....not to shabby.

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
SHIET sorry man, i thought u mean FIPK, i usually associate K&N w/ their FIPK intake...

PM "2001LexusIS300"..he dont got an IS anymore..but he will let u know not to get a typhoon, and get an FIPK. he had a typhoon.

-Aaron

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How much was your Injen Gen3? Good point about the strut bar. Thanks. I've kind of looked at Injen but not really that in depth. What kind of HP gains would i be looking at?

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
yes. FIPK for sure no strut room, dunno bout typhoon. my injen i think injen dynoed it at like 5-9? not sure but im sure SAFC will squeeze an extra couple horses out which is what i plan to do. i got mine used for like $150, and the filters are like $45...not bad at all..sounds awesome too...
MarkIS300 has one too, awesome guy.

here is my thread,

http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?t=265029

and you can click the link that shows my intake. keep in mind that is a beat up filter i have on, so when i put the new one on it will look way better and sound meaner..

-Aaron

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The Injen one on the .net store is only 99 bucks. Thats a pretty big price difference from the FIPK. Does it come with a filter or did you get one from somewhere else.

My bad thats the JoeZ one on the .net store. Are they the same?

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
no no no...JOEZ looks exactly like stock...and is best best bang for the buck if u hear the owners opinions.. its total $160 for joez pipe and a TRD drop in filter...injen new is about $270 w/ heatshield.

however they are 2 completely different things. Joez = stock look.

injen, SRT, AEM, stillen, K&N, etc, are all cone filters..meaing they look like this

they look more aftermarket, and usually sound lounder than PLP and Joez intakes, which are both stock look.

you can barely tell the diff from PLP and Joez from stock, b/c they dont sound as lound, and can use the same black piping, and black couplers.

-Aaron

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Oh ok. I looked on the Injen website and is yours the same the IS intake system?

Alright I think I'm getting the Injen intake. I've found it for about $270 like you said with free shipping. I've also found it with the heatshield for around 260 but i think i have to pay shipping. I'll get whichever one is cheaper unless one is significantly better.

Thanks for all of your help. +rep

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
I bought my injen off ebay for 180 new and i love it, dont really notice any gains per say except for the fact that i felt a little better throttle response. And it looks and sounds amazing!!!

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
injen all the way. also if possible, even though it already came with a heatshield, buy another shield for ur headers, ie PLP or LMW heatshield...

bumblecat is selling his for $55, great price for great mod.. looks useless, but keeps SOO much hot air from going into ur intake....with 2 heatshields u'll get the most power from ur injen brotha =D
good luck, and welcome to the INJEN CREW!
-Aaron

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
If you want a real honest opinion, i would suggest the K&N fipk OR JOEZ with trd drop in filter.

From the many various intakes ive had, i always like the FIPK alot.. i would have gotten it again for my new 05 but i was going for a more quiet and refined intake this time around.

The construction and design of the FIPK is very slick. The piping is black plastic and actually stays really cool, especially if you add another heat shield to if such as LMS (it comes with a heat shield blocker which goes near the intake scoop). That means you would have two intake "heat shields".

As for the power gains, there are definately some good ones there with the FIPK.. and as will all open element intakes, it does make an incredible sound at WOT.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts