Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Its not about "better" its about your preferences. If you're looking for a sound that is going to be close to stock, then get the PLP. If you'd like to get a little extra growl from underneath the hood, then get an open element intake like the K&N. If you go the open-element route, I would suggest the K&N FIPK. In my opinion it looks better than the Typhoon and also comes with a heatshield.

www.4filters.com is where i got mine.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
ok, Ive had these intakes:
TOMs drop in/ PLP SFI/ AEM/ K&N typhoon / K&N FIPK/ TRD drop in

THe PLP is really a nice, stock looking intake. I guess that the smooth pipe added some power but i really think the difference was more from the TRD drop in filter i had with the PLP piping. TOgether, the PLP pipe and TRD filter felt pretty good. I liked the combo alot. Just a little more sound over stock, but really not that much overall.

THe K&N typhoon and K&N fipk are both really nice intakes. Lotsa sound, and each felt pretty good once i slapped them on. I really like the FIPK intake because it comes with a heat shield similar to the SRT style one, which utilizes the stock duct, not to mention with the PLP heat shield (gen 5000 or something :roll: ) it works really well. The intake pipe stays nice and cool.
I believe BOTH the typhoon and FIPK are carb certed now.

The typhoon has more color to it and theFIPK is suppose to give just slightly better gains than the typhoon.

Its all preference really. If you want a more sporty sound, get the Typhoon or FIPK. If you want to be quiet and get some power, get a PLP pipe and TRD filter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.