Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much of a difference would it make if I put in a stock style K&N air filter (HP gain and MPG) I see that they're are about $65 or so, ouch. Good, easy upgrade?

·
Registered
532 Posts
its not much thats all i have in my is and i dont see a great power gain but mpg i see around 1 maybe 2 mpg. but if you are planning to get a intake id just hold off and put the 65 bucks towards that.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just a simple slide in filter will do it for me. Now to get some spare cash :rolleyes:

·
Registered
532 Posts
ya if your not worried about gettin a intake the k&n is good just drops right in :)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, new air filters are my kinda mod :bigSmile:

·
Banned
1,309 Posts
A k&n panel filter will yeild the same results as a intake kit for the most part due to the fact that the oem filter is so restrictive due to longevity reasons as well as smog reasons.

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
A k&n panel filter will yeild the same results as a intake kit for the most part due to the fact that the oem filter is so restrictive due to longevity reasons as well as smog reasons.
it really won't help much at all, the stock intake pipe has baffles and a resonator in it to keep the intake really quiet, the best way to stay sleeper and use a panel filter is to get a joe-z intake pipe.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Go KNN FIPK2. You can get them for around $150 now. You'll get a little gain from a drop in, but not even noticable.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
i like my K&N w/ A51 intake. too bad Blitz doesn't make any filters for Chevy Blazer which is the filter A51 uses.

·
Registered
88 Posts
i agree with longnights

I've only had a K&N drop in ever since i got my car and they are nice but you won't be seeing very much hp improvement. You do however hear a bit more growl when hitting the gas And throttle response is Definitely improved. (more sensitive) That sir I will attest too.

AutoAnything Shopping Cart
go to that webite. You can find them for our car for about 51$. I haven't found cheaper anywhere else.

If you want to save money, go with the a JoeZ intake. I just ordered one myself for the fact that everyone says itll provide just as much hp increase as a 250$ FIPK II. JoeZ costs less and itll definitely be more stealth if your worried about that

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Called the guys at Autozone :rolleyes: (what,,, they're real close!!!) and said he can order one. 65.99. Decent for Autozone.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
^ The second link is an actual intake, not just a filter.

I am surprised that what has failed to have been mentioned is that the K&N pays for itself after 45-60k miles. (I think OEM filters are around $20.) I believe you are supposed to discard the OEM filter every 15-20k miles, but you only have to clean and lightly oil the K&N. To me, this is the major bonus, aside from the slight increase in MPG and HP.

I also believe that I paid around $45 when I bought my K&N. I ordered it online but don't remember from where.

·
Registered
6 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
^ Seriously, get a JoeZ intake. It's like $100, it's been tested and proven beneficial, and one of our own made it.

This are the same intake, the K&N site, just lists the retail price.
Good call. I didn't even click the first link, just figured it was the regular filter on K&N's site.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ok look at this... was talking to a friend, he has one of these, but for his p/u. He claims the tubing don't matter, jut have a K&N cone. Cheap as hell, would save quite a bit? What do you guys think?

eBay Motors: Lexus 00-04 01 02 03 IS300 IS 300 Short Ram Air Intake (item 220231739791 end time May-11-08 21:04:32 PDT)

Save 200 bucks, then spend 50 for a K&N cone. Save 150, sounds good to me.
The difference here is that the K&N one will fit and work great, and has loads of research and development into it, with a proven dyno chart and testing. The eBay one is cheap, but it IS cheap. It will work, but hopefully fitment won't be a problem, and it will just hang there, that mount piece they give you with it really doesn't have a specific spot to mount it to and is the same one they include on all those intakes. So if you are just looking for something that is cheap and will fit cheap, go for it. You will not find a K&N for that price. Also hopefully the MAF sensor will fit in it right, since that thing is just cranked out in some sweat shop in China! :lol:

·
Banned
1,309 Posts
Not to mention most K&N kits come with C.A.R.B. EO numbers that way they are legal for smog in california. Most other kits don't.

·
Registered
9,403 Posts
ZAR! We meet again............

I have the Gen 2 KIPK... It's awesome. I have noticed a consistent 5-10% better gas mileage, and upwards of 15% on long trips (highway).

It's also loud as a bastard at around 5 grand. Something that some people wouldn't like, but I personally don't care about. It sounds like "half a ferrari engine", as my buddy would say.

I say get the whole kit. Once you get the filter, you're gonna be pissed that you spent that money when you go and get the whole kit.

My $0.02.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts