Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I just picked up a K&N Drop in Air Filter and was looking at the instructions which is exactly like what is on their webpage: http://www.kandn.com/instructions/33-2170.pdf

I ran a search and have never heard anyone talking about using this "air filter grease". So my question is: What is it for? Does anyone use it? Is it necessary?

I don't think the stock air filter has anything like this. It's just something new for me, I'd appreciate it if anyone can shed some light on this.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
That grease is actually oil, which helps in collecting dirt and dust particles that the filter may miss. Just don't get too much on the filter, as it can screw up the MAF sensor and cause your car to idle low, stall and bog.

·
Premium Member
7,619 Posts
chrisCARL0S said:
That grease is actually oil, which helps in collecting dirt and dust particles that the filter may miss. Just don't get too much on the filter, as it can screw up the MAF sensor and cause your car to idle low, stall and bog.
Yup! chrisCARL0S is correct! If you get oil on your MAF sensor you can clean it with CRC electronic cleaner. You can purchase it at your nearest Pep Boys, Auto Zone, Radio Shack store, Home Depot & the likes.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
chrisCARL0S said:
That grease is actually oil, which helps in collecting dirt and dust particles that the filter may miss.
Is it necessary to use this stuff? How about other drop-ins (Blitz, TRD, etc)?

I'd rather not use it if it's not needed.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
not all filters need the oil, i believe that the Blitz drop in filter does not need the oil

·
Registered
216 Posts
No. The grease doesn't go ON the filter media. The filter is already pre-oiled.

The K&N has a flexible rubber edge that may not seal as well as the stock filter.
(stock filter has a felt-like material around the edge to act as a sealer)

The grease fills in those possible voids around the edge and acts as a sealer.

Tip: Cut the four corner tabs flush on the filter cage (supposed to be included with the filter) to make it easier to install.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
the reason why its grease up with oil is because it is a reuseable filter, unlike the stock paper filter or the blitz filter..when the filter gets really dirty you can wash it off with water and use the recharger kit with it...the TRD USA one is reusable also and similiar to the K&N..the blitz is a disposable filter which does not have oil on it...the only drawback to these reusable filters is what chriscarlos said, the MAF sensor can may get oil buildup.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
if ur plannin on gettin a filter that is re-usable ur gonna have to use oil on it to trap all the dirt from goin into your el motor

wasabimaniac said:
Is it necessary to use this stuff? How about other drop-ins (Blitz, TRD, etc)?

I'd rather not use it if it's not needed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for everybody's replies. Just to clarify, this is not the recharge oil, this is the grease in fig.2 in the above link that comes in a toothpaste like tube that acts aas a sealant.

The closest answer to what I was looking for is from "Ray from NJ".
The grease being a sealant.

For those with this intake, is it necessary to use this sealant grease?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I have the ProLex Performance drop-in filter. It's a sponge on the front with a micron filter on the back . . . all you do is put the recharge filter oil on it - there's no 'sealant' or grease - it fits in the stock air box and makes a good seal (it has rubber edges) via friction . . . I wouldn't add any grease to make a seal unless the filter is really loose - but then again if the filter is really loose it's not a good drop-in replacement - get the PLP

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
haha oppz..i shoulda have clicked on the link you posted...anyways, i have the trd usa one, and i did not have to use a sealant and ive used it for about 5000 miles or so

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
I installed my K&N drop in last month, and got my first CEL yesterday. I'm wondering if it's because my filter didn't come with that tube of grease as illustrated. Maybe the seal isn't proper right now, and allowing extra dirt into the engine? Does anyone know if their K&N came with that tube of grease? Has anyone ever heard of the K&N drop-in causing a CEL (it's new, so I didn't over oil it). Could it have been overoiled from the factory?

If none of the above, I guess it's just sign that my car is getting old, and that it's a real CEL problem.

·
Registered
28 Posts
BobFrapples said:
I installed my K&N drop in last month, and got my first CEL yesterday. I'm wondering if it's because my filter didn't come with that tube of grease as illustrated. Maybe the seal isn't proper right now, and allowing extra dirt into the engine? Does anyone know if their K&N came with that tube of grease? Has anyone ever heard of the K&N drop-in causing a CEL (it's new, so I didn't over oil it). Could it have been overoiled from the factory?

If none of the above, I guess it's just sign that my car is getting old, and that it's a real CEL problem.

I hope it doesn't cause a CEL :jawDrop: , I put mine in yesterday - and yes, it did come with a small tube of "Air Filter Sealing Grease".

·
Registered
207 Posts
Just an update, I have had my K&N drop-in for 6 months and have had no CEL problems. No "Air Filter Sealant Grease" was used.

When you place the top cover back on the air box, there are metal clips that secure the drop-in in place.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts