Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a K&N air replacement in there IS?????? If so, can you tell me how much the horsepower and the gas milage improved?

·
Registered
144 Posts
K&N Air Filter

I recently installed a K&N Air filter in my IS. As instructed by K&N, I disconneted the negative terminal on the battery for an hour + to erase the cars memory. Once installed, I took it for a drive so that the car could learn and adjust to the change in air intake. I read that the increase in HP should be anywhere between 3-5% (6-10HP). I really don't pay attention to gas mileage but I was amazed in the increase in performance. I never thought I would feel a difference in performance by just switching air filters but I was proven wrong. The biggest changes I feel are increased pickup and greater torque.

Hope this was helpful!

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I have the K&N replacement panel filter on special order right now.. I'll post my review of it later when it arrives... I'll post pics of it on my webpage as well...

·
Registered
169 Posts
K&N Air replacement filter for 2002 IS300 auto, 33-2170, but its not available @ Kragen, PEp Boys and shit..already looked.. :cry:

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
dragonblade said:
K&N Air replacement filter for 2002 IS300 auto, 33-2170, but its not available @ Kragen, PEp Boys and shit..already looked.. :cry:
Is 33-2170 the part number for the replacement air-filter??? please help i m trying to order it here while i m in hong kong. peace...:D:D:D

·
Manufacturer of Pipes
5,285 Posts
Yes that is the part number... You should be paying no more than $55 for it....

It is not available at PEP boys, etc.. Because they have a limited quantity made at a time... they are not massed produced like a more common car company, will not mention any.... so no one gets offended!
You will not find that many parts at PEP Boys, etc. for our IS300, when it comes to engine and other genuine Toyota replacement parts...

They only stock them at the main K&N warehouse and you will have to make a special order from your local Tuner / Motorsports shop that has a direct account with K&N or there are a few online sites that you can get them from too... Don't know any off the top of my head...

Hope that helps everyone....

Joe Z

·
Übercargeek
16,623 Posts
irv_usc said:
you can also check the company's website for online authorized dealers...

K& N Filters
Seeing that neither of the 3 major auto parts chains in South FL (Pep Boys, Discount Auto Parts, AutoZone) had the 33-2170 Air Filter in stock, I followed your advice. Here's what I turned up:

1) Of the 12 online sites K&N mentions,only 5 of them carry the IS filter.

2) Of those 5, 4 of them charge $55.23. The 5th (northernautoparts.com) charges $55.99.

3) Of those 4, 4filters.com (a.k.a. Fox Performance) adds $5 shipping & handling. performancecenter.com has free handling but says nothing about shipping.

4) The best bets are either martelbros.com or ajusa.com,both of which have free shipping & handling. I just ordered mine from the latter.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Hey i have the K&N drop in filter.... i noticed a difference in how the engine responds... i just wanted that extra lil kick, nothing special..... Got it at a local speed shop for 50.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hey just found out that in N.C(north ca) you can purchase a K&N filter from RDC Parts plus. they get it direct from the k&N warehouse. but it $75.00 with tax and s&h.

·
Registered
847 Posts
what happens if you don't reset the ECU??? higher MPG???

would resetting it decrease MPG since it will notice extra air, hence more fuel to the cylindars???

·
Registered
38,938 Posts
KryptoniK said:
Hey i have the K&N drop in filter.... i noticed a difference in how the engine responds... i just wanted that extra lil kick, nothing special..... Got it at a local speed shop for 50.
How is the fittment and does it leave a lot of dust inside the housing after awhile? I wonder if it is better than Tom's and TRD in term of performance and filteration?

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Lex300 said:
KryptoniK said:
How is the fittment and does it leave a lot of dust inside the housing after awhile? I wonder if it is better than Tom's and TRD in term of performance and filteration?
I would say both are good. K&N has always had good filtration and even better fitment :chill:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
About this Discussion
25 Replies
17 Participants
snj1013
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing