Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I did this on my IS300, and plan to do it on my IS350. There is no change in sound as its just another filter. I doubt you'll see any gains, but its reusable and is supposed to flow a little better than a stock filter. I'd say its worth the $$ just from the fact that you can just wash it out and re-oil it.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
I have a Blitz filter. No change in noise, no change in performance.

It's washable, so performance stays the same longer as I keep the filter cleaner.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I replaced the stock filter with the K&N jsut because it has better air flow. The new IS's get cold air so throwing in a after market filter won't really help that much.
Note: I unhooked the sensor off the air hose and after I reconnected everthing my check engine and VSC warning lights came on. After about min15 it reset it self (Thank God for that)

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
Can you feel the difference? Really?
The only thing I noticed with either car is that it seems to just run more freely. Kinda like the difference between a brand new motor and one that's well broken in. I don't think you can measure a difference in actual power or performance but it does seem to breathe a little easier, more responsive. Hard to explain but you can notice.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Where did you get them? Any online links or pics?

·
Registered
88 Posts
hey man, Ya I definitely always use the K&N box filter. I personally think it's great. I do hear a Slight louder growl when ur WOT at high RPM's but it's so small of a difference you stop noticing it quickly. Also as for power gains..hm not so much, but this biggest difference is Throttle Response. Which to me is almost as important as power increase. Esp with the stock IS300 lag..haha One more thing..MPG can benefit too. Not alot but these days, ill take what I can get.

I recently got a JoeZ intake and Highly recommend it with the K&N. It'll feel like a new car.

I do recommend it and its worth more than just being able to clean it.
Go to..autoanything.com or performancecenter.com or just google and you Should be able to find one for just over 50$. Have fun!

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did you do the intake pipe yourself? How long did it take?

Why did you choose the Blitz filter over a K&N?

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
Did you do the intake pipe yourself? How long did it take?

Why did you choose the Blitz filter over a K&N?
You can change the intake pipe in maybe 10 minutes. It's just a matter of undoing the stock one and putting this one on.

I got the Blitz because it's not oiled and at the time the my.is store had a package deal on the pipe and filter. Blitz was also the first one to come out for the 2nd gen IS.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Does anyone know if changing the air filter and intake pipe affect fuel consumption. Better, worse or the same? Why?

·
Registered
459 Posts
I have observed a 3 - 5 mpg increase in the 'tank average' display with just the addition of the JoeZ intake tube. My air filter is OEM.

Honestly, I am skeptical about this but I installed it over three weeks ago and it is still showing better mpg. The weather has been between 45°C & 70°C. I first thought the improvement was due to the warmer weather near 70's here is Chicago. We have had a cold spell this week but the mpg improvement remains.

I am tempted to do a "ABA" swap and put the old rubber intake back on to see of the mpg goes down but I am kind of busy and just happy to see the tank average at about 30mpg in heavy traffic. The fuel type might have changed from the winter formula to the summer formula too but I have no way to confirm.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
G-ster,

Thanks for the info. That sounds VERY promising. I don't know why, but I had assumed (I guess wrongly), that if anything, consumption would've gotten worse rather than better.

I also spoke to one of the dolts at my dealership recently who told me he thought the OEM filter was better than a K&N filter, only that it had to be replaced (as opposed to washed and oiled like the K&N). Any thoughts?

·
Registered
459 Posts
G-ster,

Thanks for the info. That sounds VERY promising. I don't know why, but I had assumed (I guess wrongly), that if anything, consumption would've gotten worse rather than better.

I also spoke to one of the dolts at my dealership recently who told me he thought the OEM filter was better than a K&N filter, only that it had to be replaced (as opposed to washed and oiled like the K&N). Any thoughts?
My basic position is that the IS250 and IS350 use the same intake. So if the OEM airbox and filter can support a 300+hp 3.5L engine then my 2.5L should be more then fine with the stock filter. The IS350 could be differnt however. It is hard to say which one is better but it depends on the criteria. I use K&N's on my motorcycles now and have used them on previous cars. So I have the cleaner and oil already. I just did not feel it was needed for my IS250.

Just to clarify - I am talking about a drop-in replacment K&N for the OEM air box. Not to be confused with the CAI (HAI) short rams with the conical filter. I would not recommend those but that is just me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts