Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This guy told me that he was able to shave half a second of the 0-60 time for his 528i by using a K&N air filter. Can a simple air filter make this much of a difference?

·
Registered
994 Posts
3-5 hp doesn't account for 0.5 sec. There was also some test that a guy did with the filtering capabilities, and the K&N filter wasn't nearly as effective in filtering out particles than the factory filter--it allowed a higher % of particles through than the % of extra air flow gained.

--k

·
Registered
11,902 Posts
All I said was that my understanding was that it got ya 3-5HP basically for "free."

This .5 sec stuff did not come from me.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Didn't someone post (a while back) a link to Rod Millen?? (i don't know mods) where they had an filter/intake that they claimed would give 25hp?
Anyone know if a filter/intake could really do that? I'm too skeptical

------------------
Perception IS Reality

·
Registered
994 Posts
I wasn't replying only to you. The 0.5 sec stuff came from viggen, which is the point of this thread. Can an air filter shave off 0.5 sec 0-60 ?

--k

Originally posted by Agent Smith:
All I said was that my understanding was that it got ya 3-5HP basically for "free."

This .5 sec stuff did not come from me.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Originally posted by Almost There:
Didn't someone post (a while back) a link to Rod Millen?? (i don't know mods) where they had an filter/intake that they claimed would give 25hp?
Anyone know if a filter/intake could really do that? I'm too skeptical

I *think* (and being too damn lazy to go and check right now
) the combo of exhaust and intake from RMM is supposed to put out about 15 HP. Don't quote me on that though...

·
Registered
994 Posts
I understand. Tomorrow will be a better day.

But remember, none of the damage is real. The Matrix has you.

--k

Originally posted by Agent Smith:
On edge because i clipped a curb...not trying to bust on ya

[This message has been edited by chiem (edited October 09, 2000).]

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Someone posted that a filter like K&N will only give you benefits for a short time, but after while it actually does harm to your engine because it sucks in more dirt. And for a car as heavy as 528i, there is no way a single filter upgrade can improve it by that much in acceleration. Heck, the Eclipse GSX was dynoed to have gained 20hp (turbo engine) after a filter, and it's time only increased by a couple tenth of a second.

·
Registered
257 Posts
actually, i guess that's not much of a reply...

I my understanding of filters and such, what that K&N is doing is increasing the availible surface area and volume of air that can be filtered and "sucked in". The K&N, if set up right, can be configured to act like a velocity stack which (simply stated) actually keeps on a suckin' in air . That's why, when you turn your car off, you still hear a "fffffvvvvvvpphhh" a second or two after you turn your engine off with a premade HKS/GReddy type velocity stack . Air is still moving in. What really sucks in dirt is actually the HKS/RS Akimoto foam intakes that, after a few years (about 5 here in California) of engine bay heat and grime and washing cycles, start deteriorating and disintergrating. Not to fear, K&N filters from K&N actually have a million mile warranty which is a good thing. Neat trick = get a stock type K&N filter (if they make one...i've been noticing that they haven't lately made later-model stock inserts), cut your stock airbox apart (the bottom off..don't cut any sensors - doh!) and run to Home Depot. Go into the air conditioning/aluminum ducting section and buy some 6" flexible aluminum ducting and funnels. Get some BIGASS zip-ties, make a bracket or two (while your at Home Depot get a .49 cent premade one), run to the desired location and viola. (you want to visual all this first before you start cuttin. Make sure everything will be flush and TiGhT). You won't necessarily have the velocity stack effect but you will have cold air induction (maybe RAM AIR if you did it right) for about the cost of a K&N filter, some time and a couple bucks for parts. Neato....and you did it yourself..(i haven't checked the physical possibility of this yet, so if this is physically impossible, forgive) have fun...keep them gears a turnin'

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
I think the best filtering element on the market is the Apex'i one. Check out the filter test on mkiv. The Apex'i has the best filtering, K&N is good, but Apex'i filters out more dirt.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts