Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have we hit the peak of cars gaining weight? Will everyone fallow suit?

AutoBlog said:
Over the course of the last 20 years, each new Audi model has weighed around 10 percent more than its predecessor, but that all changed when the all-new 2009 Audi A4 (B8) debuted last year. The mid-size sedan gained less than 100 pounds over the previous model (B7), despite growing in every possible dimension. And when the next A4 arrives in five year's time, Audi claims it will weigh less than the current model.

Heinrich Timm, head of Audi's Lightweight Design Center, told us earlier today that the next generation A4 – likely due out in 2015 – will shed some 150 kg (330 pounds) over the B8. The move to drop the A4's curb weight is part of a larger initiative by Audi to reduce the tonnage of its future vehicles by using more aluminum, innovative structural techniques and composites.

And the benefits of weight reduction aren't just limited to fuel consumption and emissions. As any gearhead knows, weight affects every aspect of the vehicle's dynamics – from handling to braking to acceleration. For every 220 pounds lost, a vehicle can accelerate to 60 mph in 20 fewer feet. Lose 440 pounds and the amount of runway saved nearly doubles.

While other automakers are employing high tensile steel to increase rigidity and reduce weight, the stuff costs nearly three-times more than a normal stamped piece. By limiting the use of tensile steel, the overall cost savings will allow Audi to utilize more exotic materials – carbon fiber in particular – to reduce weight and further enhance the driving experience.

As the father of the spaceframe, Timm knows all too well that weight reduction is the key to the next generation of automobiles. Not only will it decrease fuel consumption, increase safety and pay dividends for the driver, it's the only way automakers can simultaneously meet new emission standards while delivering the content and driving experience customers expect. Timm says, "We want to bring it to a higher volume," and the next generation A4 is sure to be the first in a long line of lightened Audis.
Next generation Audi A4 to shed over 300 pounds — Autoblog

·
27,116 Posts
Great... so instead of weighing as much as a house... now they will weigh as much as an SUV?

·
Übercargeek
16,623 Posts
Hey, it's a start. And a good one I might add. 300lbs is a HUGE reduction IMO.
I agree, but my attitude is wait-and-see. I remember getting all pumped and excited about how the Nissan 370Z was supposed to be 200-plus lbs lighter than the 350Z, but, in the end, the weight loss was only something like 77 lbs.

·
Sofa King Awesome
3,603 Posts
330 lbs? I mean the car is insanely obese to begin with, so this would actually make it competitive. I like this stance that Audi is taking... I like it alot!

I agree, but my attitude is wait-and-see. I remember getting all pumped and excited about how the Nissan 370Z was supposed to be 200-plus lbs lighter than the 350Z, but, in the end, the weight loss was only something like 77 lbs.
Something tells me for the cost of all the lighter materials this car will be roughly 130 lbs lighter.

·
Registered
44,398 Posts
Shedding 330 pounds from an A4 is like giving that giant chick from Precious a haircut. It's also just a claim about a car that's 5 years from production.

I'm interested in actual light cars, not fucking super morbidly obese sedans losing less than 10% of their heft.

-Justin

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Saving weight is the easiest way for car manufacturers to meet more stringent emission standards. Engines keep getting more efficient but their development life cycle is long and costly.

Most of the weight gains over the last 20 years were safety-related. Now with new materials and better compter models I believe we'll see actual weight reductions (and not just claims.)

If Ferrari and Lambo can deliver on their promises to make lighter cars, then the others will follow suit.

·
Registered
44,398 Posts
A speaker amplifies the engine? WTF?

It would seem that if you can't hear the engine in an 'ultralight' concept car then you probably could have gone a little further on the diet.

-Justin

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Shedding 330 pounds from an A4 is like giving that giant chick from Precious a haircut. It's also just a claim about a car that's 5 years from production.

I'm interested in actual light cars, not fucking super morbidly obese sedans losing less than 10% of their heft.

-Justin
:lol: Yes, those Audis are porkers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts