Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:pissed:
ok so i live in Toronto- too cold to wash my car on the driveway now- so i took it a drive up wand-wash station on the weekend...after paying and rinsing it down i started to use the nylon 'foaming' brush...only thing is: THERE'S NO FOAM!!! :pissed: :pissed: so now i'm left with tonnes, and I mean TONNES of scratches in my paint!!! :bitching:
since i have Onyx Black- it shows up 10X more- and i also found out that it's not a clearcoat recently....so what can i do???? besides be pissed everytime i see my Lex! :pissed: :pissed:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Why did you continue to wash even though there was no foam?

Even if there was foam, you'd probably still be left with about 1/2 the scratches you have now. Others use that same brush on their wheels and tires. Something to keep in mind for next time.

Without seeing your car, I'd guess that it's beyond repair for most people, unless they are skilled with using a rotary buffer. I suggest going to www.autopia.org and posting a message, asking for a professional detailer in the toronto area to give you an estimate. I'd guess somewhere close to $150 US.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yah...that's prob my only solution this crazy mess...it's terrible! i actually thot that the foam would start soon after i began- and it's kinda my fault too- i was in a rush and started on the wheels- then expected the foam to start- so i just started in on the hood, side panels, roof...ugh...thinking bout it makes me cringe... :oops:
anyhow...i'll likely leave it for the winter now...and just haveta not look at my car in the light til March or so...crap :pissed:

·
Registered
203 Posts
scrath

I don't know how big or deep your scratches are, but if they are minor use Scratch-X. I think its made by Mothers.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: scrath

thelex-IS said:
I don't know how big or deep your scratches are, but if they are minor use Scratch-X. I think its made by Mothers.
yah- i actually have that product (Meguiars BTW)- so i was thinking of giving that a whirl...scratches are about 4/10- 10 being scratched through the clear coat...looks like a drove thru a net made out of steel wool! :pissed:

·
Registered
49 Posts
ScratchX can get expensive to use on the entire car.. 7 dollars for a little tube. It's also a LOT of work getting scratches out by hand; though I guess it'd be feasible to try to work it in sections, i.e., half the hood or a fender each session. Use a folded terry cloth or a terry applicator to apply.. The terry cotton makes the product more aggressive.

You could try 3M perfect-it rubbing compound first, followed by Meguiar's #9 swirl remover, which would reduce (not completely remove) the haze left from the compound. I'd try this on a small section first, though, to see if the results are satisfactory. You might consider getting a porter cable polisher, for about $120 US. It'd make the work go by faster, with much more satisfactory results.

Again, this is A LOT of work.. you'll need a few weekends by hand.. but maybe a whole day with the porter-cable polisher.

But if you don't mind the wait, the best thing as you mentioned would be to wait until spring for a pro.

You can search autopia for proper wash technique so you don't have to worry about this again. Prevention is everything!

Best of luck.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
brc said:
:pissed:
ok so i live in Toronto- too cold to wash my car on the driveway now- so i took it a drive up wand-wash station on the weekend...after paying and rinsing it down i started to use the nylon 'foaming' brush...only thing is: THERE'S NO FOAM!!! :pissed: :pissed: so now i'm left with tonnes, and I mean TONNES of scratches in my paint!!! :bitching:
since i have Onyx Black- it shows up 10X more- and i also found out that it's not a clearcoat recently....so what can i do???? besides be pissed everytime i see my Lex! :pissed: :pissed:
I once was using a Chamois (sp?)on my car and a tiny pebble got on it. Made a big scratch before I knew what happened. :pissed: Anyway, I bought some 3M imperial hand glaze and worked on it for a bit and almost got it completely out. That stuff is wonderful. Now I will say that this is going to require some hard work, but I think you can probably get the car looking beautiful again.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
my buddy and me are gonna use Zaino Z5 this weekend..anyone ever used it? any useful tips? i'll try to take before and after pix- so that everyone can learn from my mistake...

·
Registered
49 Posts
You will be wasting your time zaino z5.. it will do nothing. Seriously, nothing. I had the faintest scratches that could only be seen in certain angles in the sunlight, which z5 didnt do anything for, even after +5 coats.

Zaino is a good protectant to use once you do fix your problems, though.. It's a good product and all, just dont be fooled by its name, "swirl remover," because by no means does it do that.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Oh, I just remembered something else..

There is a new synthetic wax that has just been developed by Meguiar's. It is called "Nxt Generation" wax, and is supposed to hit stores in February-ish. It looks like a zaino/klasse-killer.. Extensive side by side testings were performed and pictures were taken under scrutinizing halogen lights and direct sunlight in comparison to zaino z5. Nxt generation appears to hide swirls much more effectively than zaino. The pictures are up on autopia.org, put up by Mike Phillips of Meguiars.

Maybe you'd be interested in getting this product, if you have the patience. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.