Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drove my new ISF home late last night and while I gave up a perfectly good s2000 and an 09 IS350 to do it I'm pretty stoked. Hoping you fine folks can offer up some advice on a couple of things...

Break in - I have heard that engines on the F car are tuned, dyno'd and all broken in by the time they find themselves to the assembly line so there is really no need to break the car in. I have used the same break in ritual for virtually every new car I have owned which is basically drive moderately and vary your speed a whole lot to seat the rings properly. Some of the locals I have spoken with say no need to do that. Does anyone have the definative answer for the proper way to break in an ISF... dealer never mentioned it ( it was a late after hours deal and he had a date )

DIY oil changes - I still, after nearly 35 years of driving, like to change my own oil. Nothing in the world was going to keep me from buying the ISF but now that I have one I have to admit that I don't even know where the oil filter is. Anyone change their own oil and, if so, is it, say on the scale of the 350, about the same?

Yeah, stupid newbie questions...sorry. Are these great cars or what!

·
Vendor
4,593 Posts
sweet congrats.
The oil filter is behind the trap door unfer panel up front. Its a cartridge style filter and you need a SST to remove the alloy canister. Best done warm.

I break in engines with several temp cycles with conventional oil but according to my oil analysis there were still signs of break in at 10K miles. There are a lot of friction modifier coatings in the engine so actually not much metal on metal interaction.

Fig

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply... these are incredibly fine cars... reckon from your reply the filter is roughly in the same spot as it is on a 350... haven't even read the manual yet but I have heard about 10 qts. of oil... thinking I might let one of the local dealers do this...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the kind welcome... it's silver over black... damn... these are such fine cars... I'm still stoked! I'll snap a pic or two soon... I really liked my two 350's... carjacker took the first one from my wife and used it up (totalled it) when he ran from the cops... liked the 09 ok but I really wanted an Fcar... my good wife gave me the green light and everything just kind of fell into place... again, thanks for the welcome

·
Registered
23 Posts
Congrates on the new IS F!!! Where did you get your car from (city & state) and why did you buy one?? Why not an M3 or C63?? Just curious to hear your opinion on this matter.

·
Premium Member
14,171 Posts
You may miss the S2k in corners, but that should be the ONLY time! :)
The F is sure a beast in every other capacity, with of course the luxury and space.
Regards to break in. There are many schools of thought, some say drive it like you stole it (no offense to your 350 RIP) But the manual suggests otherwise. Take a look and enjoy!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Isf

Congrates on the new IS F!!! Where did you get your car from (city & state) and why did you buy one?? Why not an M3 or C63?? Just curious to hear your opinion on this matter.
Since you asked I will use the opportunity to provide a shameless plug for the dealership... Lexus of Melbourne off of I-95 just south of Cocoa Beach, Florida. I've bought two IS350's and the F car from this dealership/salesman (and I have a local one much closer). I generally don't recommend things to folks in case their experience isn't as good as mine however, if you are in the market for a Lexus and you live on the east coast of Florida I would give Them and salesman Shaun a shot.

The F car over the others... easy. Service, performance, and reliability. I've danced with a gaggle of German cars and every one of them required too many trips to the dealer's service department. I'm betting my money that I won't be doing that with the Lexus. Great performance, more than decent handling, and Toyota reliability works for me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.