Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm guessing that not many folks are still doing this job on cars this old, but I did. Mine is a 2003 and the sticky dash was finally just too much. Found a good DIY post on line and reserved a whole weekend for the job. In fact I took longer, because I let the new paint dry for a couple days before putting the dash back in. I also work slowly, and I logged every step and bagged and labeled every nut and bolt. The biggest gotcha I had was on the pillar covers for the side airbags. The DIY showed how to find the one bolt under a cap on each side, but did not note that there is a T shaped stud attached to the cover, which slots into a keyhole on the lower part of pillar itself. The T piece (the cover with the T piece) must be pushed down to allow the top of the T to come out of the keyhole in the pillar. Took me a while to figure this out. Also, the mouse fur covering on the pillar covers had melded with some of the adhesive under the edges of the cover and I needed to cut it with an exacto knife to release it in a few places. I'm sure this is due to age and sunlight, etc. It's hidden by the windshield edge, so no big deal.

I did two coats of plastic primer, and 3 coats of finish flat black. The worst was stripping the sticky crap off. I used Goo Gone and Acetone and couple rolls of paper towels an a bunch of Scotch Brite pads. I'm happy to say that the result turned out really well! Trust me, it was pretty bad before.
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Tire
Car Vehicle Speedometer Gear shift Satellite radio

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sure, here is a link. Don't know if it's "approved" to post from another board, but here goes.

·
Registered
2003 IS300
25 Posts
looks great. It is a little tedious to do but is a very rewarding process once completed. I absolutely hated sitting in my car until i fixed the dash. i followed the same tutorial as the link you posted with the only difference being the use of SEM products for the paint and primer.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Both mine need the dash out. My red daily driver's is all melty and scratched up. My silver car already had the 2001 dash swapped in - but the heater core failed last year... Ugh

1 - 8 of 8 Posts