Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just hung up the phone after ordering a Borla Cat-back system for my IS. Unfortunately they are on back order and it will be about 3-weeks 'till I get it. Over the phone I was told that the IS300 system is a 3-piece system with a resonator, midpipe and muffler. All made of 304 stainless steel with a one million mile warrantee. I figured if Borla was good enough for Team Lexus, it's good enough for me. The race system replaces the catalyst with a straight pipe, probably includes headers too, forgot to ask.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
get vids and post it in the sticky-ed thread! :D

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
wjbertrand said:
Just hung up the phone after ordering a Borla Cat-back system for my IS. Unfortunately they are on back order and it will be about 3-weeks 'till I get it. Over the phone I was told that the IS300 system is a 3-piece system with a resonator, midpipe and muffler. All made of 304 stainless steel with a one million mile warrantee. I figured if Borla was good enough for Team Lexus, it's good enough for me. The race system replaces the catalyst with a straight pipe, probably includes headers too, forgot to ask.
i don't think so if it's just a cat-back system...since all you're getting is from the cat, back.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lilaznboi said:
wjbertrand said:
i don't think so if it's just a cat-back system...since all you're getting is from the cat, back.
:-? Guess I could have been more clear.:-?

I'm not gettting the race system, I'm getting the street system. Of course the street system I've ordered still retains the stock headers and the rest of the OEM system upstream of the catalyst, unlike the race system that team Lexus apparently uses. Sorry for the confusion.

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
wjbertrand said:
lilaznboi said:
wjbertrand said:
:-? Guess I could have been more clear.:-?

I'm not gettting the race system, I'm getting the street system. Of course the street system I've ordered still retains the stock headers and the rest of the OEM system upstream of the catalyst, unlike the race system that team Lexus apparently uses. Sorry for the confusion.
how much did you pay for your "street system" and do you know how much is the "Race system"

thanks

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
K3RRY said:
how much did you pay for your "street system" and do you know how much is the "Race system"

thanks
Borla lists the streetable system at $588 on their web site, but you can find them around for about $500 if you do a little shopping. I also found the same system at close to $700 at some snooty, fancy-schmancy places! I paid $499.99.

No idea what the race system costs, nor if it is generally available. Obviously it's not street legal and according to the guy I spoke with at Borla, quite LOUD.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
i hope its the "good" kind of loud not the "Bad" kind... :lol:

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
6,620 Posts
sweet WJB.. .you might have to drop by our CDD mod party day... have a beer & let us all hear your phat new Borla system... you seem to be the 1st in these parts withthat & i'd LOVE to hear it.... i know others coming wil ltoo!

edG

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
i thought so too but he said in my thread about borla that he had one:

ltuned&boosted said:
I have a borla exhaust, grrrrrr, ask anyone in midatlantic how my car sounds, ricey? :lol: Sounds angry as hell.

wjbertrand..did you buy the borla on supra store? I am going to be getting the borla for my car pretty soon and I saw that they have it on for 499..Ive heard alot of bad things about them and Im sketchy about buying it there. If you found it for that price somewhere else please let me know!

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Astr0LuX said:
i thought so too but he said in my thread about borla that he had one:

ltuned&boosted said:
I have a borla exhaust, grrrrrr, ask anyone in midatlantic how my car sounds, ricey? :lol: Sounds angry as hell.

wjbertrand..did you buy the borla on supra store? I am going to be getting the borla for my car pretty soon and I saw that they have it on for 499..Ive heard alot of bad things about them and Im sketchy about buying it there. If you found it for that price somewhere else please let me know!
I made my decision after talking directly with someone at Borla. They are actually located in Oxnard, close to me here in Ventura. Borla will sell direct but only at full MSRP (~$588) so as not to compete with their own dealers. I bought my system for $499.99 from Summit Racing (www.summitracing.com). Search for part# BOR-14971. Summit offers free ground shipping so the only additional charge was $8.45 for handling. Since they are outside of California I avoided sales tax too.

Trouble is Borla only builds this system to order apparently, so there was no stock at Summit or at Borla. My estimated ship date is 11/21 and I expect a few more days for transport from Summit's closest shop in Nevada. Of course if they drop ship to me out of Borla's factory, it could be a bit shorter. Maybe by Thanksgiving I'll have something to photograph, both on and off the car. I'll try to catch a sound clip on my Archos MP3 recorder too.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
awesome! wow, I didnt know borla was so close, Im in east ventura (moorpark). Im probably going to order my borla within the next couple weeks. Sounds like summit is a good place and I will most likely go with them. Thanks for the reference.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
there will now be 3 of us with borla... (- team lexus)

Tentative ship date: 11/26

i cant wait!

wjr..please let me know where you took it for install and how much it cost, I might take it to the same place.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Astr0LuX said:
there will now be 3 of us with borla... (- team lexus)

Tentative ship date: 11/26

i cant wait!

wjr..please let me know where you took it for install and how much it cost, I might take it to the same place.
Well, my plan is to install it myself. I've got all the tools, jackstands and other stuff needed. I usually do all of my own repairs and maintenance unless it's warrantee or some kind of special equipment is needed. (i.e. like a welder or wheel alignment rig). The system is all "bolt on" according to Borla, so no need for a professional welder or anything. Looking under the car, the pipe doesn't loop up over or around anything that would appear to require any additional disassembly, so it seems quite straight forward (famous last words!) :eek:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts