Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey wussups i just installed my first suspension mod (trd yellow sways) and what a night and day difference it made (exactly the words crontab said before he sold it to me..thanks again). i love the mod and i love the way my car turns now and now i want more!!
but the problem is that i dont know which suspension mod (besides coilovers) should i consider next. It would be awesome if you guys post the product and the effect of the product, like less nose dive etc. Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
You should do a search to find out more info. I think a strut tower brace would do you well. Getting both front and rear will tighten up the car's chassis a bit.

I'd say coilovers such as tein flex's. If not, you could go for a set of springs and shocks such as tokico illumina's with eibachs or stechs--something like that. If u wanted to stay on stock shocks you could go for the hotchkis springs.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I put chassic braces and I noticed a difference. The car ffels more reponsive and youcan definirely feel the road more ( this may be good or bad depending on personal preference). I really like them.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I'm quoting myself from an old thread:
http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?t=228392

IS JOE said:
My suspension mods are:

l-tuned sways
eibach pro-kit springs
bilstein hd shocks
plp front and rear strut tower bars
TRD front and rear underchassis braces

^^ that’s the order I would recommend you get your parts

-Sways first because they are the best bang for your buck. Much much different feel than stock, and doesn't hurt comfort much, if at all. It connects the 2 wheels together with a U-shaped bar. This kind of takes some of the “independence” out of the independent suspension, but it prevents one wheel from traveling up without the other wheel going up too, thus reducing body roll.

-Springs and shocks will have the biggest affect on comfort, and the magnitude of the effect differs depending on which spring/shock/coilover you choose. Springs will lower your car and stiffen up your suspension at all four corners to help reducing roll when cornering, dive when braking, squat when accelerating, etc. Shocks among other things will help dampen the energy of the springs to reduce undulation (repetitive contracting and extension) which causes the car to bounce like a boat after hitting a bump in the road.

- Strut Tower bars help by stiffening the chassis and reduce chassis flex. You can imagine the chassis and suspension structure to be like an cardboard box without a lid (like a U shape). Its very flexible, and you can bend it out of shape pretty easily. Now add a lid to that box and it becomes more rigid. Its harder to flex and deform. The strut tower bar is like a lid to the suspension components. By reducing flex you can get benefits like better steering feel and better steering response. In my case, before I got he strut bars, I would turn my wheel and it would feel like a rubber band was connecting the steering wheel to the actual wheels. Turn it a little, and you can feel the rubber band stretch, turn it a little more and the wheels start catching up. After the bars, its much more direct. I turn the steering wheel and the wheels turn. It’s a much more linear response. Of course, my “rubber band” effect is very subtle, and you probably don’t notice it now, but if you go with the bars and then without, you will notice. This had little effect on comfort.

-The chassis braces go further to stiffen the chassis. After I got mine on, it made the car feel very solid, like a tank. Dare I say, it made the car feel more “german.” My car used to almost slither over bumps in the road like a snake… now it rolls over bumps like a brick. This had more of an affect on comfort than the strut brace, but it isn’t bad at all.

The above of course is just my experiences and opinions on the subject, the suspension guru’s can chime in if I’m misleading.

Sorry for the long post, I guess I got carried away :lol:
The only change I'd add to that is that I regret not getting a coilover instead of springs/shocks. I would have liked the height adjustment and the corner balancing ability that goes with that.

·
Registered
155 Posts
coilovers

xGxHyPxGx said:
hey wussups i just installed my first suspension mod (trd yellow sways) and what a night and day difference it made (exactly the words crontab said before he sold it to me..thanks again). i love the mod and i love the way my car turns now and now i want more!!
but the problem is that i dont know which suspension mod (besides coilovers) should i consider next. It would be awesome if you guys post the product and the effect of the product, like less nose dive etc. Thanks!!
I have these from my IS I turned in...they were the greatest forhandling and ride quality. That's the biggest thing is keeping the ride quality while enhancing the cornering. So many susp mods work well and then you need a kidney belt to make it to work and back!!

Bilstein adjustable shocks and Eibach springs built exclusivly for
L-Sportline. Front # GXE1011FS (Springs Eibach #50120, Sportline # JSEOIL-F, Shocks Bilstein # 1700BE5-6048H0), Rear GXE1011RS, (Springs Eibach #49989, Sportline #JSEOIL-R, Shocks Bilstein #1800BE5-6049H0) Asking $700 + shipping but make me a REASONABLE offer!, 3K miles on these, located in So Orange Co, Ca.

Email [email protected] for picture, and give me your email address, for shipping I need a ZIP code to give you the total $$$!!

Also, Area 51 blue sways, asking $175, can'y ship, email for pic.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts