Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Threadlocker
8,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It appears to me that the area right above the cutout on my bumper is beginning to warp, possibly due to the heat from the hiper. here is a picture for reference...

Click Me to Look

any ideas what i can do?

·
Registered
400 Posts
You sure that its from the exhaust? I know a few ppl that have the hiper and the bumper never warped. Maybe its part of the damage I see on the top of the bumper.

·
Threadlocker
8,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
westside IS said:
You sure that its from the exhaust? I know a few ppl that have the hiper and the bumper never warped. Maybe its part of the damage I see on the top of the bumper.
i have an idea that the damage on top might have caused the bumper to move "inward/downward" but maybe not. just wanted to post to see if anyone else might have this prob.

edit: i'm fairly certain that the "bubble" that the pic points to wasn't there before the exhaust... perhaps it is the other damage.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I have no idea what thats from. I have the Hiper, and havent had any problems, so I'm willing to bet its not from the exhaust.

·
Threadlocker
8,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BassMan097 said:
I have no idea what thats from. I have the Hiper, and havent had any problems, so I'm willing to bet its not from the exhaust.
it's def from the heat. just that my bumper is already screwed. still looking for a replacement, is all...

ITALIAN LEX said:
hey how do you like the sound?? is it really loud or smooth and mellow?
the sound is really pretty sweet... loud/droning but you get used to it pretty quick

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I don't have the Hiper, but my Apexi exhaust sits even closer to the bumper than your Hiper (I have about maybe a 0.5mm clearance), I have driven over 1000 miles with it, and my rear bumper is still fine.
Itz weird how the bumper is warping like that.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm looking at the Hiper. Anymore details about the problems you have? What's this about cutting around it? And are you sure its warped from the heat?

·
Threadlocker
8,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well i checked today after driving 40 miles on the freeway, and that area doesn't seem that hot anymore. Just so you all know, my bumper is a lil f*cked up, so I wouldn't use me as comparisons to undamaged cars.

The reason I think it's the exhaust is that it sits pretty flush with the bumper when cool. After my drive this morning, it was sticking out about 1/2 inch from the cutout. Perhaps it is the driving prior to warmup that causes my bumper to warp.

BTW, I would still recommend the Hiper. Just ask other members, they are typically pretty happy with it, besides scraping it everywhere...

·
Registered
266 Posts
I know that guru22 had some problems with his bumper melting. He has the tbko turbo so it's not the same situation as yours. He cut the part of the bumper that is parallel to the exhaust (kinda hard to explain) and didn't have problems after that.

You could always heat the hangers up and bend them slightly so the exhaust doesn't sit as close to the bumper.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Aubie83 said:
I wouldnt think the Hiper would do that. I wouldnt think it would even generate enough heat to warp a bumper :-?
Tell ya what... Go grab someones muffler after they have been driving for about 15 minutes... Then come back and tell us if you still think it doesn't generate enough heat... The freaking thing gets pretty darn warm.

·
Threadlocker
8,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
colorado_is300 said:
Aubie83 said:
I wouldnt think the Hiper would do that. I wouldnt think it would even generate enough heat to warp a bumper :-?
Tell ya what... Go grab someones muffler after they have been driving for about 15 minutes... Then come back and tell us if you still think it doesn't generate enough heat... The freaking thing gets pretty darn warm.
LOL. I didn't really think that one needed an answer...

·
Registered
535 Posts

shouldn't be the hyper prob.
mine was ok ...

·
Registered
628 Posts
I have the Hiper and there is pretty much no way it would be hot enough to warp the bumper way up there. If anything right around the opening could potentially receive a bit too much heat. But a) the heat should dissipate well before going that far up the bumper and b) if the heat was that hot you should notice a path up the back of the bumper not just a random spot 10"s away from the tip.

·
Threadlocker
8,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
is3hundo said:
I have the Hiper and there is pretty much no way it would be hot enough to warp the bumper way up there. If anything right around the opening could potentially receive a bit too much heat. But a) the heat should dissipate well before going that far up the bumper and b) if the heat was that hot you should notice a path up the back of the bumper not just a random spot 10"s away from the tip.
It is not 10" away. If you look again, the 'warping' starts about 1.5-2 inches above the tip. pretty much starts right above the horizontal 'line' on the bumper. as i've said many times, it's probably my jacked up bumper... just thought i'd post to see if anyone else had this experience.

·
Registered
628 Posts
OH right. My bad I was just looking at the big circle.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
12 Participants
irv_usc
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing