Lexus IS Forum banner

just installed A51 sways on my 2003 SportX

952 views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  balance 
#1 ·
wow, what a difference! still getting used to the change in handling as I've only had them on for 2 days, but what a difference! a slight increase ride harshness on uneven pavement, it feels like a very little small increase in road feel through the wheel (don't know if that's a good or bad thing), but it just attacks turns and most definitely has eliminated the factory understeer.

I specifically went with the A51 bars since their rear anti-sway is smaller than the TRD which, with the added weight of our rear ends due to hatch, might have been a bit more oversteer than i wanted. i also wanted something a little more agressive than the eibachs.

highly recommended for those that like the twisties...

#2 ·
i installed my hotchskis last week and ran the canyons non stop all saturday night..wow these things are amazing.the super stiff setting is perfect for the "weight issue" with our rears. i recommend them also.

#3 ·
How much are the A51 sways?

balance said:
wow, what a difference! still getting used to the change in handling as I've only had them on for 2 days, but what a difference! a slight increase ride harshness on uneven pavement, it feels like a very little small increase in road feel through the wheel (don't know if that's a good or bad thing), but it just attacks turns and most definitely has eliminated the factory understeer.

I specifically went with the A51 bars since their rear anti-sway is smaller than the TRD which, with the added weight of our rear ends due to hatch, might have been a bit more oversteer than i wanted. i also wanted something a little more agressive than the eibachs.

highly recommended for those that like the twisties...

#4 ·
They go for about $380. That's a bill more than the Eibach's, but less than the TRDs. I didn't consider the Hotchkis cause they were even stiffer than TRD (though cheaper than the A51s if I remember correctly).

After driving about 200 miles on the freeway and some twisties, I can say I'm going to be a lot happier with my SportX (not that I wasn't already). It just feels much more like a go-kart, but retaining that 'softness' of the Lexus ride.

Go for some sways if you haven't already (I've read that last sentence a thousand times on these forums- but now I understand and can chant it right back!).

-

#5 ·
haha now that u mention it..it does kinda feel like a go-kart..the reason y i wanted it more stiff is because if it was "too stiff" for the sedan...the sportcross being more heavy..would balance out the suspension better...

#7 ·
Thanks for the feedback on the sways!

I've been thinking about the Hotchkis bars, increased roll resistance, and a decrease in weight sounds like a great combination.

How hard is it to install sways on the IS?

What, if anything, do you have to drop?

Is this a DIY project, or is it worth spending the $ to have a pro do the install?

#8 ·
nickg.va said:
How hard is it to install sways on the IS?

What, if anything, do you have to drop?

Is this a DIY project, or is it worth spending the $ to have a pro do the install?
By all means, do it yourself!

Took me longer to jack up the car and find suitable locations for jackstands, than to install the bars.

The rear is very easy. Nothing has to come off to get to it.

The front requires removing the left front tire, the big black plastic pan(pay close attention to the three kinds of fasteners and WHERE they came from and how the plastic pan mates with the nose plastic), and the plastic splash shield by the left control arm. Threading the old sway bar out through the hose to the left side is the only tricky part. The new one goes in just the reverse.

I have plenty of practice with this, since my dealer blamed my steering problem on my Eibach's, so I had to change back to the stock bars/bushings last week to prove to them that it is not the cause. :pissed: Whenever they figure out what the problem is(Cue the story about the one character per second monkey who will eventually type Romeo & Juliett :roll:), the Eibach's will be going back in again :crazy:

VFRMAN

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.