Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am now past the 2000km break-in period, but I wasn't able to keep the speed less than 88km/h as indicated in the manual. I did keep the revs down below 5000 or so.

So I am wondering does this mean the engine is damaged or that it will not last as long? I am probably going to trade the car in after about 3-4 years anyways.

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
if you are leasing the car, or don't plan to keep it past a certain # of miles, say 50000, then it isn't important to you, it will suck for the second or third owner, but not for you.
if you plan to keep the car, it is very important, proper seating of the rings is crucial to longevity. the rest of the rotating assembly will break in immeadiately, but those rings are a bitch. really you should keep her below 3500 to 4000 for better results, and when you are driving it, vary speed and engine rpm, don't just set the cruise control and drive around at 65 in 5th gear for a thousand miles, that won't serve the purpose nearly as well as varying engine rpm and speed.
for a new clutch (even though you and other IS owners don't have one) the same stuff applies, get the flywheel bead blasted (if anything other than the first clutch in the car, off of the showroom floor) slip it as little as possible, which equates to a kind of rough engagement, but it is best. also be easy on it for atleast 300miles, preferably 500, and don't run the car hard, or rev her to high with the new clutch.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
About this Discussion
1 Reply
2 Participants
IS300GTE
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing