Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 1k checkup the dealership told me to come back at 5k or "november"

Should I change the oil now? at 3k or should I just wait till 5k?

·
11,061 Posts
Depends on your driving. I do a lot of stop and go, so I change the oil more often. If I did mostly highway, I'd wait longer.

·
Registered
30,635 Posts
I'd wait, don't waste your money on new oil jsut yet. 1k is important, to flush the "break in" oil out, but after that, adhere to a regualr change schedule. every 7500 mi. is fine for most people.

·
Registered
847 Posts
s0yb0mb said:
I'd wait, don't waste your money on new oil jsut yet. 1k is important, to flush the "break in" oil out, but after that, adhere to a regualr change schedule. every 7500 mi. is fine for most people.
what do you mean "flush" it out?? there's no oil change at 1K

·
Registered
30,635 Posts
Cleo said:
s0yb0mb said:
what do you mean "flush" it out?? there's no oil change at 1K
I was under the impression that at your 1k service they changed the oil... keep in mind I'm at almost 60k so its been a while. Regardless, the first oil change in important b/c as the parts of the engine wear in, the oil will suspend the contaminants.

·
Registered
847 Posts
goldark said:
After 1k checkup the dealership told me to come back at 5k or "november"

Should I change the oil now? at 3k or should I just wait till 5k?
pay no attention to the 3K "rule." it's just a marketing ploy perpetuated by the oil changing services industry; most notably jiffy lube...just follow the manual...wait till 5K

1 - 10 of 10 Posts