Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
did a search and this hasn't been brought up (to my knowledge).

The instructions from PLP clearly state you must disconnect the POSITIVE terminal to re-set, while all the posts I've read say to disconnect the NEGATIVE. Does it matter?

Sorry if this is a basic question, but it's my first mod and want to make sure I do things right.

Thanks.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hey McNasty.

This is from another post:

"one main reason for doing the neg first is that a lot of ppl use wrenches or rachets that can arch if you touch them to any ground source...like the valve cover or anything grounded near by. i've seen this happen many times before."

Hope this helps. Enjoy the intake!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm pretty sure that disconnecting the + terminal will not reset the ECU. I disconnected the - terminal when installing my PLP-SFI and that worked fine.

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
I think it's always right to disconnect the negative terminal to disable the electrics and/or to reset the ECU. It's a safety thing. Same thing as using jumper cables. Always do the ground last to complete the circuit.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I don't think it matters which one. The circuit is being broken either way. It looks like the issue is safety.

"one main reason for doing the neg first is that a lot of ppl use wrenches or rachets that can arch if you touch them to any ground source...like the valve cover or anything grounded near by. i've seen this happen many times before."

·
Registered
513 Posts
do you guys really think it's necessary to reset the stock ecu? seriously, what does it do long term?
i've had the plp intake for a while and just reset the ecu again for something else the other day. the day i reset it i was amazed about how much louder the intake was and how good the throttle response was. the very next day it was back to its old self. maybe it's better than stock, but it's definitely not the same as when i first reset the ecu.

·
Nygmatic
2,683 Posts
SDLEX said:
I'm pretty sure that disconnecting the + terminal will not reset the ECU. I disconnected the - terminal when installing my PLP-SFI and that worked fine.
wow... you learn something new everyday :roll:

______back to our regularly scheduled program of FACT_________

taking either of the positive or negative terminals will break the circuit of all electronics from your vehicle. the reason you take off the negative is b/c of safety. you dont want to have a metal wrench in your hand loosening the postive terminal then accidentally hit a metal part of your car... bad news.

but after that is said, why not just disconnect the ECU for 1 min and let the ECU reset itself? i dont really follow the whole "discharge the capacitors idea" because i have done resets of my ECU for 1 min and it really does reset ( CEL goes away ). unless someome can provide me with further information, then i will be content pulling the power cable from my ecu when i need the reset.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Obviously, I’m no expert on the subject. Just speaking from experience. When I installed my PLP-SFI, I had originally left the + disconnected for about 45 minutes - ECU not reset. About 20 minutes with – disconnected did the trick. Weird. Maybe my + wire was touching during installation or something.

Frydryce said:
SDLEX said:
wow... you learn something new everyday :roll:

______back to our regularly scheduled program of FACT_________

taking either of the positive or negative terminals will break the circuit of all electronics from your vehicle. the reason you take off the negative is b/c of safety. you dont want to have a metal wrench in your hand loosening the postive terminal then accidentally hit a metal part of your car... bad news.

but after that is said, why not just disconnect the ECU for 1 min and let the ECU reset itself? i dont really follow the whole "discharge the capacitors idea" because i have done resets of my ECU for 1 min and it really does reset ( CEL goes away ). unless someome can provide me with further information, then i will be content pulling the power cable from my ecu when i need the reset.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If you truly want to reset everything in the car just take both termials off and touch them to each other. Doing this drains all capacitors and stored energy in the car...and no it doesnt do any damage to the system.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Just judging by the fact that my stereo memory was cleared when I disconnected the – terminal and was not when I disconnected the +. But like I said, maybe my + wire was touching during installation and I didn't notice.

Frydryce said:
how did you know it didnt reset? do you have a diagnostic tool? did you have a CEL?

·
Nygmatic
2,683 Posts
yes, your ecu doesnt handle your radio memory. ecu is easy to reset. open it up, take out the first two clips, wait 2 minutes and put it back on. resets my ecu every time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts