Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have it connected in series. So I have them at 6 ohms mono. I don't want to rewire them into pararell so Im looking for an amp that can do 600*1 bridged at 3 ohms.

If I remember correctly, when a 6 ohms mono is bridged onto an amp, it becomes 3 ohms. Right???

Thanks~

·
Registered
47 Posts
Bridging an amp is not necessary for the ohms side of things, you just need an amp that can deliver the right amount of power for your speakers at the right resistance. Take a look at something like the Directed 1100D for example, this can do

425W into 4ohm
800W into 2ohm
1100W into 1ohm

600W into 3 ohm should be fine for this amp.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dark_is200 said:
Bridging an amp is not necessary for the ohms side of things, you just need an amp that can deliver the right amount of power for your speakers at the right resistance. Take a look at something like the Directed 1100D for example, this can do

425W into 4ohm
800W into 2ohm
1100W into 1ohm

600W into 3 ohm should be fine for this amp.
thanks for the reply~ yeah, I know bridging is not necessary but the thing is I can get a cheaper amp if I bridge it u know? Am I correct in saying, if bridging is possible in an amp, it wont be anymore stressful then not running it bridged right?

thanks, also just for my info, can someone answer this? Thanks~ :)
If I remember correctly, when a 6 ohms mono is bridged onto an amp, it becomes 3 ohms. Right???

·
Useless
5,346 Posts
If you have them wired so the final load is 6 ohms then you need an amp that will run 600*1 at 6 ohms. The final load of the speakers wired together is the final load. The only time you sort of speak cut the impedance in 1/2 is when you consider the fact of what a 2 channels amp bridged does inside, which has no effect on your final load. I would rewire them to a 3 ohm load and run any 4 ohm mono amp. The HiFonics ZX6000 should run them fine.

Are these older W6's or the new dual 4 ohm ones?

As a reminder, the amplifier has limits and it does not cut the final impedance in 1/2 when bridged. The rule to remember is that if its say 2 ohm mono stable then it will be 1/2 that stereo stable. I.E. 2 ohms mono is 1 ohm stereo stable.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks lisunup... So what you're saying is if I have a 2 channel amp and I bridge my 6 ohms subs into it. The power will be given to a 6 ohm load not 3 ohms? I thought I should be looking for an amp that does 600 to 1 channels at 3 ohms bridged, not 6 ohms.

So the guy from car toys is wrong??? The 2 jl's are in series at 6 ohms. Oh also, yeah i have the old 6ohms DVC's.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oh also, lisnup, I just checked the specs on that amp HiFonics ZX6000. It is awesome for what it can do. Thanks... But the specs says, it'll do 600 to 1 at 4 ohms. Does that mean, Ill get more then 600 watts since im going to be running at 3 ohms? Is that safe for the amp? Thanks..

sorry im a newbie and don't really know how the amp works pass it's specs. :lol:

·
Useless
5,346 Posts
Boodies said:
oh also, lisnup, I just checked the specs on that amp HiFonics ZX6000. It is awesome for what it can do. Thanks... But the specs says, it'll do 600 to 1 at 4 ohms. Does that mean, Ill get more then 600 watts since im going to be running at 3 ohms? Is that safe for the amp? Thanks..

sorry im a newbie and don't really know how the amp works pass it's specs. :lol:

You have dual 6 ohm voice coils, so if you series 2 coils together you have a 12 ohm load. Now if each speaker is wired this way you have 2-12 ohm speakers. Now if you go from the amp + to each speaker positive and the amps - to the speaker - you will have a 6 ohm final load. This is the mono load the amp will see. If the guy told you the amp will see a 3 ohm load he is infact incorrect.

What I would do is wire them + to + and - to - each speaker. That will mean each speaker is a 3 ohm load. Now wire one set of coils from each speaker to the amp via + to+ and - to -. The final load will be 1.5 ohms. Now get a HiFonics Brutus BX1000D. This amp will give around 750 watts at 1.5 ohms. Its a little more than needed, but JL subs are supposed to handle it. I know that Image subs would.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
okay, i just rewrote this post after reading it again.. i was babbling.. :lol: okay, so bottom line, do you recommend me getting

ZX6000 or BD1000??? I can only either run at 6 ohms or 1.5 ohms. Unless I wire two subs seperately into the amp at 3 ohms each. But the thing is, my box only gives out mono output, meaning there's only one outlet in the back. So my 2 jl's are coming out from one +/_ in the back of the box... So I can't really do 2 subs into two channels. So my only choices are 6 or 1.5 ohms. so I think my best bet is rewire them in pararell in 1.5 ohms and get the BD1000. What do you think lisunup??

Thanks~

·
Useless
5,346 Posts
Boodies said:
okay, i just rewrote this post after reading it again.. i was babbling.. :lol: okay, so bottom line, do you recommend me getting

ZX6000 or BD1000??? I can only either run at 6 ohms or 1.5 ohms. Unless I wire two subs seperately into the amp at 3 ohms each. But the thing is, my box only gives out mono output, meaning there's only one outlet in the back. So my 2 jl's are coming out from one +/_ in the back of the box... So I can't really do 2 subs into two channels. So my only choices are 6 or 1.5 ohms. so I think my best bet is rewire them in pararell in 1.5 ohms and get the BD1000. What do you think lisunup??

Thanks~
Thats what I would recommend! Remember that subs are not a matter of mono or stereo as the human ear can only destiquish mono at those freqs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts