Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just gone done smoking out the sidemarkers. I bought the transparent black tint spray from a hobby store. Looks awesome, black as hell...until I turned on the lights. I have hyperwhite 194 bulbs that now looks reddish magenta through the sidemarkers when lit up. GHEY.

Did I do something wrong or does everyone else that smoked out theirs look the same? If this is the case, I might as well just go over it with a glossy black and not even have the light shine through (I think that's legal right?). Throw me some options fellow peeps.

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
your black tint wasn't actually black. It's real difficult to get a real black, so the tint was probably a real dark turd brown.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SophieSleeps said:
your black tint wasn't actually black. It's real difficult to get a real black, so the tint was probably a real dark turd brown.
Well that's just fantastic. You know where I can get the real black stuff because I just spray tinted my clear corners as well but have not gotten to look at it. This really pisses me off.

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
first i'd get rid of the hyperwhite. No one needs em.

2nd...it depends on what color you are looking for. what I'd do is tint the stock bumper lens and not a clear one.

To get true black, you'd have to test each paint individually.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I choose the hyperwhites because I didn't want the pissy colored clear bulbs.

Anyways, they only have 1 type of tint spray. The rest is all candycrap colors. I remember someone posting a long time ago about some smoke paint from Japan or something like that.

I was going to take apart my headlights and test the new smoked out clear corners but I'm glad that I didn't go through all that work yet. Whew.

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
Did you try the smoked with the clear bulbs?

The blue ting on the hiper whites might be causing the reddish.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The bulbs are actually chrome so it can look white as hell in the daytime but actually light up a really nice hyperwhite. So I strongly believe that the bulb would be the problem.

Anyways, I just changed my rear turn signal bulb to the chrome hyperwhite one and put my clear corner in front of it to test it out. It looks fine except in some areas where there is too much paint...but then again if I had the proper paint like Sophie mentioned, then it wouldn't matter. It looks cheap like someone colored the thing with a sharpie's marker.

I thought it wouldn't matter being that I paid $5 for a very small can of the spray.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Po Dunk said:
I agree with Sophie, try the stock markers.
I honestly don't think that it would make a difference (I just don't see how). Amber + reddish tint from the paint = more redness.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
i just flipped the bulb around so it doesnt light up anymore, i like the clear corners up front but i didnt like the light from the LED i had so i scrapped the idea all together.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BUTRBALL12 said:
i just flipped the bulb around so it doesnt light up anymore, i like the clear corners up front but i didnt like the light from the LED i had so i scrapped the idea all together.
That's what I'm thinking I'll do also. I think those little markers are real buggers. I like the black sleak exterior look of the markers though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts