Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey yall i had asked a lil while back if you could remove the paint off of the grills and get chrome and the answer is yes....

However heads up on the materials you use. I started with strong acetone and it would get some of it off but it took a lot of rubbing which got real old so i thought i'd step it up a notch with the power of what i was using.

I than and went and got some spray on paint remover that was pretty friendly. You would spray it down and than let it sit for like 30 minutes and i used that whole bottle and it wasnt quite strong enough. It didnt get in all of the small cracks and holes that our grills have. so...

I went and got some of the normal strong paint remover. It is like a paste and i got that on and the paint on the grill would drip off with the goo pretty much until i noted that it was taking the chrome off too.

The chrome is put on there as like a sheep and it started to make it bubble and some of it just started wiping off and there is a white plastic under that. I washed it off quick and stopped most of it. It does look good though IMO. I will take some pictures and post them, but if you chose to do this, be careful of how strong of materials you use. I would say use the weaker removers and take more time with it to get a good job!

Sam

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are the pictures. I think it looks pretty good to have in for a little while. I will probably switch back to the 2003 grill before too long, unless i do the same to that one too. Not sure how it would look with the black emblem though?!?

Your thoughts....

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
there are a few more pics under my sig too. 7 all together. Yeah it looks really clean. Similiar to the altezza one but with four rows, not three.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
how much did it cost to chrome it? or is it those chrome spray paints?

·
Founder
8,520 Posts
lexluger180 said:
He didn't chrome it - he removed all the gray paint from the grill - it's all chromed plastic underneath.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
webmaster said:
lexluger180 said:
He didn't chrome it - he removed all the gray paint from the grill - it's all chromed plastic underneath.
oh,are 02's the same?

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah the 02s are the same. I am thinking about doing that one next. Not as much chrome on that one though so i am not sure if i am gonig to do it...

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i got all of my supplies at Ace hardware, just my local hardware store. If you want to play it safe, but spend some time on it, use strong acetone. It will remove the paint safely and not take the chrome off with the paint. If anyone else does it send me pics. I want to see how it looks on different colors.

Also, and any 02 or 03 guys do it send me pics too.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Hey, that looks damn good man. Might look a little out of place on darker cars, but on your pearl white, it looks really sharp. Props for having the balls to try it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts