Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
18,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Nissan 350z Track Model 6spd

Folks, listen up, it's that time again. Bringing you the best from the automotive-winding test-driving world, I have now had some serious seat time in the 350z track 6spd.

My initial impressions of this car were not good. I felt the interior was cheaply done, especially the HUGE broad interior door panels and the perforated cardboard-esque roof liner. That aside, I really fell in love with the shifter even before taking her out for a good romping. It's so short and smooth and heavy, highly enjoyable. The clutch is rather heavy, but not overbearing. The steering wheel is thick and steering FEEL is heavy and satisfying, much like my 330 (much more so than the G35c).

Starting up this beast is like a symphonic orchestra gone wrong. It is LOUD. The dual exhaust is quite nice, very deep and rumbly. The car was cold when I drove it, so it was even louder than normal. The engine is obviously highly tuned. The difference between the G35 sedan and the 350z is like the difference between a 325 and the M3. It's really that ridiculous -- and I love it!

Initially the clutch was a little odd, you know what with having a mid-pedal engagement point and all like the rest of the cars of the world. Once I got used to that, it was cake. The shifter is precise, heavy and SOLID. The car at this point is begging me with all its might to take it to the limit. FWIW it had about 290 miles on it.

I hit the on-ramp for a local highway and shoehorned it to 80mph before I knew what happened. This car is a freakin rocket people! I don't know how this thing could only pull a 6.0 0-60 -- I'm gonna say mid 5's at the max. It is ridiculously quick, and not only by the ass meter but by the speedometer as well. The rev limiter is sharply at the redline, for all you future 350z test drivers, so watch out. The most satisfying shift is definitely 2nd to 3rd at redline. 3rd gear is SO strong on this car, it just feels like it'll never ever run out of room to go.

Highway cruising is a breeze. Lane changes? You won't even notice! There is zero body roll, and even less pitch front to back. This is a serious car now, and it shows it on less-than-formidable roads. You get to wondering exactly how much damping there really is under the shock towers. But all in all it's just the sporty nature of the car, it really loves to haul balls and it does it in any direction you fancy.

Braking is somewhat iffy. I found them to be very solid (these are the Brembos btw), very fade-resistant even doing a relatively hard 80-0 stop, but I must admit they're not very good at giving feedback. You have to push on them pretty hard, no lie. Yes that's exactly the opposite of the G35 sedan, which would be more likely to send ABS into a storm of chatter if you so much as sneezed with your foot over the brake pedal.

Interior comfort is another interesting topic. This car had cloth seats, which I am NOT fond of. It's like burlap, only harder. There's no nap to the fabric, so you literally "rub" into the seat rather than slide. It's not a pleasant sensation, and makes it harder to get comfortable. I was all set after about 2 minutes of fidgeting. I sat in a leather touring model that was on the showroom floor and ingress/outgress were much easier and I felt much more comfortable. Plus cloth = manual seats, which is not part of my 350z game plan (maybe it's part of yours?).

All in all I thought to myself, "Wow I could really see this as my next vehicle." The sound and power of this beast coupled with the driver feedback (less the brakes) and the suspension make it a true sports car. This is NOT anything like the G35c. It is even further from the G35 sedan than the Mini is from the M5. It's really a driver's car. It books baby, and I want one. Daytona blue please! :p

·
Registered
12,480 Posts
What a nice, well written review. It would do better in a Nissan forum. :boring:

·
Registered
18,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
PMD911 said:
You think this car will be drivable in snow?
With snows yes. It is very low though, so I don't know how well it'd work out with more than 5" of the puffy white shit.

If you drive it easy, it goes easy, but if you get burried in the throttle it rips you a new one. It's masochistic fun.

·
Registered
28,808 Posts
Yeah, I saw one today during my lunch break. I really dont like the look much, but the dual exhausts and the sound they made were awsome. The only problem is the driver of the z I saw today was some punk kid that kept trying to race me. I didn't even try...of course, I'd get smoked. I couldn't help feeling a little jealosy when I saw that thing though.

·
Registered
18,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
DJPoop said:
Yeah, I saw one today during my lunch break. I really dont like the look much, but the dual exhausts and the sound they made were awsome. The only problem is the driver of the z I saw today was some punk kid that kept trying to race me. I didn't even try...of course, I'd get smoked. I couldn't help feeling a little jealosy when I saw that thing though.
I haven't seen many out and about, but I saw EVERYONE looking at me while I was driving around. That car carries some serious attitude.

·
Registered
7,386 Posts
I need two back seats though....grrrr. If I get this job I interviewed for, I'll probably go for the G35C. I'm 33, married with two kids. No need for big pimping in a two seater for me. I like the NISMO equipped Z. Have you seen it Chris?

p.s. This is an ENTHUSIAST'S forum Lex Luthor. Even the webmaster has cars other than the IS....:roll:

·
Registered
20,481 Posts
junedog said:
I need two back seats though....grrrr. If I get this job I interviewed for, I'll probably go for the G35C. I'm 33, married with two kids. No need for big pimping in a two seater for me. I like the NISMO equipped Z. Have you seen it Chris?
Trade-in your kids w/ the IS.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
As for me I will stick with the ORIGINAL. My 1973 240Z. It is not stock and I believe that it would do better, only cause it is modded a lil'.
But if I want to go crazy then I will slide into the 1978, with 18lbs of boost, and all of the goodies.
My dad has been talkin' about pickin' up the G35 coupe. I am tryin' to talk him into it........

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
It's fun to hear that people like this car so much. Nissan doesn't seem to get much respect. I agree that the 350 is proabably a pretty potent sports car but I also agree that they are not very attractive. From the rear and rear quarter they are plain ugly. In my case, with a couple of young ones who like to ride along the G35c is a lot more practical for me and for the same price you get a lot more equipment, better warranty and service with loaners. I am interested to see how well the 35Z's do at autoX and track days. Sounds like they will do very well.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
junedog said:

p.s. This is an ENTHUSIAST'S forum Lex Luthor. Even the webmaster has cars other than the IS....:roll:
I REALLY cannot believe that some people find the styling of this car attractive. Edgy smedgy give me a wedgie. Grotesque!!!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
About this Discussion
44 Replies
19 Participants
webguyIS
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing