·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
76472137-1F6D-43AC-AA86-82D05D72DCD7.jpeg
17B55A61-A090-4922-AE5A-2F9DCDB76091.jpeg
F065F0BF-4BBA-438A-B26A-85AD993A9B1C.jpeg
EA30A9A5-4788-43D4-897A-A72468D6AE94.jpeg
Bought an is300 completely stick like 100% looks like it came off showroom floor and I’m looking for a nice radio hard unit to put in that looks nice.

·
Registered
734 Posts
That car is clean man, congrats! How many miles she got?

Id advise looking into any offerings from Alpine, Pioneer, Kenwood, Sony. Look at Crutchfield.com or Bestbuy, or if you have a local sound shop check them out.

Ultimately you’ll have to decide, based on looks, features like Android/Apple Car play, cd & dvd playback or solely streaming, navigation, etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That car is clean man, congrats! How many miles she got?

Id advise looking into any offerings from Alpine, Pioneer, Kenwood, Sony. Look at Crutchfield.com or Bestbuy, or if you have a local sound shop check them out.

Ultimately you’ll have to decide, based on looks, features like Android/Apple Car play, cd & dvd playback or solely streaming, navigation, etc.
Thanks man I appreciate it, also do you know of any plug in ecu's that are direct replacement. Meaning no harness rewiring needed? And she has a lot of miles 150k but i have a 60k 2j in my back yard just incase anything happens.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Like aftermarket ecus? The Xcessive/Panic Link ecu is-was the only drop in I knew of. They stopped making it but hopefully will be back. All other aftermarket ecus need a patch harness and use the stock ecu in tandem. You don’t need an ecu unless you’re building or swapping the engine.

150k ain’t nothin. Keep it maintained and it will last 👍🏼

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Like aftermarket ecus? The Xcessive/Panic Link ecu is-was the only drop in I knew of. They stopped making it but hopefully will be back. All other aftermarket ecus need a patch harness and use the stock ecu in tandem. You don’t need an ecu unless you’re building or swapping the engine.

150k ain’t nothin. Keep it maintained and it will last 👍🏼
Hey bro I found this site called boomslang the make jumper harness for all the major ECUs so you can just plug any ECU directly in with all the connections that went to the stock one. No need to wore anything super worth it.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Yeah, that’s what I meant by “patch harness” up there. There’s boomslang, and the proefi, I think FIGs makes one too. The patch harness makes it plug n play, no wire cutting. They aren’t very individualized (the proefi is) and mainly wrest ignition and injection from the stock ecu, and leave everything else to stock ecu control. Which was fine for 20 years ago, but nowadays there is a lot of stuff left on the table like dbw, traction/launch control, etc when you use a standard PNP harness. The xcessive/panic I mentioned was an ecu based on the Link G4 that you literally unplugged the stock ecu and plugged the Link in. It actually replaced the factory ecu and there wasn’t any tandem stock + standalone nonsense.

Are you going to need an ecu? What’s your plan for the car?

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300 Sedan
7 Posts
Stereo upgrades are going to depend on what features you want/need and how much you're willing to spend. I recently upgraded my '02 (117k miles) stereo to a
Kenwood Excelon KMM-X704 digital media receiver ($129). I mainly wanted the ability to stream media from my cell phone via bluetooth and this deck does the trick without the hefty price tag of a touch screen. Has tons of features comparable to the higher priced units available. Works for my needs and looks clean. Bought from crutchfield and installed without the need for a bunch of wiring harnesses. Basic install only needs 3 wires from factory wiring and you can pick those up directly behind the factory stereo. Tons of good walkthroughs in the forums on how to install but I have some links to the best if you need them. Best of luck!

Nice IS300 btw, very clean. Does it have the sticky dash issue? If so I recommend using masking tape on any non black surface (A pillars) while swapping the stereo out to protect those surfaces. I used 3M painters tape on all my cloth surfaces as well as on the sticky black areas around the stereo until I finished the install. Removes easily and prevents the transfer of that "sticky dash material".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts