Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay.... I've looked around, can't find an answer.

18x9 + 37 front with rolled fenders and 235/40-18
18x10 + 40 Rear with rolled / trimmed fenders and 265/35-18

Will they fit?

·
Banned
1,414 Posts
The wheels would work, but not with that tire sizing... You'd have to go one or two sizes smaller.

·
Premium Member
10,234 Posts
The wheels would work, but not with that tire sizing... You'd have to go one or two sizes smaller.
You're crazy. I use to run a 18x9.5 +40 out back, the wheels stuck out about 1/4 of an inch.

Senseless to run 235 on a 10" wide wheel, if that is what you are trying to advise.

However, the 18x9+37 should work, I am running them in the front of mine.

·
Registered
141 Posts
You're crazy. I use to run a 18x9.5 +40 out back, the wheels stuck out about 1/4 of an inch.

Senseless to run 235 on a 10" wide wheel, if that is what you are trying to advise.

if you do not mind me asking what size tire do you have in the front?

·
Premium Member
10,234 Posts
if you do not mind me asking what size tire do you have in the front?
I bought some 225/40/18. But when I bought these tires, I was a bid weary about fitment and rubbing. However, after mounting the tires I notice that I still got alot of room to play with. I have ordered a pair falkens 245/35/18

·
Banned
1,414 Posts

I ran an 18x9.5 +55 and the wheel was quite sunk into the fender, so I don't see how 15mm would stick it a 1/4 inch past the fender.

Regardless, it is in no way senseless to run a 235 on a 10". I can understand wanting a bigger tire if you're boosted, but for a stockish IS you really don't need anything bigger than a 235 out back. And if stretch is your concern then please do not start this argument. A friend of mine put 215's on 10.5" wheels with no problems... It may not be your style, but it will fit without a problem.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so.... maybe it will fit then?? hmmm.. I need to do some more research then.

·
Banned
1,414 Posts
miss_is300 ran the following setup with just rolled fenders:

18x9 +25 w/ 225 tires in front
18x10 +25 w/ 235 tires in back

With that being said, THE WHEELS WILL FIT. The only thing is that it may require fender rolling, stretched tires, camber, and/or spacers to fit. Since the offsets you're looking at are higher, you're more likely to run into inboard clearance problems than problems with the fenders. With the fenders rolled you should be able to fit at least a 245 out back, but if you end up having to use a spacer you probably won't be able to.

If you're really into these wheels, I'd say pick them up and experiment with tire sizing. The 235 up front should work, but I'm pretty positive you won't be able to pull off a 265 out back... I could be wrong though.

·
Premium Member
5,684 Posts
Before you take ill roller's advise, take these points into consideration.

First, you WILL have to make sacrifices to make them work. You will have to run smaller tires, which will indeed stretch them. This will make the rims MUCH more susceptible to being bent by potholes. This is FACT. It will also affect traction, which may or may not be a concern of yours.

Second, you will need to modify your fenders, whether it be by shaving, rolling, or even pulling.

Third, you will more than likely need to dial in more than 1.5 degrees of negative camber, which will shorten the life of your tires be a considerable amount, especially since you cannot rotate staggered setups.

I have 19x9.5 +55 iForged with 265/30/19s in the rear. My fenders are aggressively shaved, dropped about 2", and I rub on bumps, hard turns, and with rear passengers. I can only imagine how bad it would be out 15mm to the fenders.

If you want to just throw some wheels on the car and roll, this set-up is NOT FOR YOU.

·
Premium Member
10,234 Posts
I ran an 18x9.5 +55 and the wheel was quite sunk into the fender, so I don't see how 15mm would stick it a 1/4 inch past the fender.

Regardless, it is in no way senseless to run a 235 on a 10". I can understand wanting a bigger tire if you're boosted, but for a stockish IS you really don't need anything bigger than a 235 out back. And if stretch is your concern then please do not start this argument. A friend of mine put 215's on 10.5" wheels with no problems... It may not be your style, but it will fit without a problem.
-Dude, take your honda game elsewhere man. If you're going to sit here and preach about it's okay that's fine but don't sit here and advise members that it is safe. I know it will fit but that is besides the fact. Anything will work and fit with alot of fagina grease. Why purchase wheels with the incorrect offset and width and have to do the whole nine yard to make it work (camber adj, fender pulling, fender rolling, severe tire stretch, etc.) . If you are going to spend the money on wheels spend it on the right wheels. Offset, backspacing and width were developed for a reason. And throwing a 215 on a 10.5" weren't one of them.

-I guess you're new to the IS world. The 9.5 +55 thing is old school and it was well established that it work, years ago.

-You're right Miss_IS300 ran 18x9 +25 up front with 225. Now ask her if she had any rubbing issues. The rim itself extruded pass the fender, even with a stretch tire it will still rub.

-As for your friend running 215 on 10.5, that's fine. You do what you want to do but don't advise others to do the same "thinking" that it's safe. My only suggestion is to contact your wheel manufacterer and tire manufacturer on the tire to rim width recommendation.

-You're sort of contradiction yourself if you ask me. What's the point of running anything above a 8.5" wide wheel if your motor setup isn't even warranting such width. Stick with a 8.5" or lower and run the 225-255 that you want to run without having to spend additional money to the "works"

-Just FYI a MM will make a huge difference.

-Experiment with tire sizing? What's the point of asking then. Just buy some 215, 225,235,245,255,265, etc. and see what works.

You're too quick to jump to conclusion. Many of us, older members, have experienced with many different width, tire size, wheels, etc. I have ran 5 sets of wheels on my IS in the past 3 years and all were nothing below 8.5". Phillzspeed currently own two IS with two sets of wide width. Hmm, I only wonder it's the older members who tend to preach against stretch tires. So Import-tooner, it's your choice on whose advise you should take.

Until you have experience personally with your own hands, please don't suggest that it will work. I am currently running 18x10 with a +25 out back with 275 tires. I am in the process of taking those 275 out and even running 285-295. My wheels extrudes 1/2, maybe more, pass the rear quarter. Not the lip, the quarter panel.

Also, until you have experienced with 275-315 tires don't consider yourself knowledgeable in the wheels for the IS.

·
Registered
7,236 Posts
^^^he keeps doing this for every wheel/tire thread and it sucks cause he is misleading people like crazy! running odd offsets is like hearing those commercials on TV where the side effects are worst than it's actual purpose

·
Banned
1,414 Posts
I don't know what the hell is up your ass, but you need to calm down... He didn't ask what your opinion was on stretched tires, he asked if they would fit. I never said they would fit perfect, in fact I advised that they would be a tough fit.

And clearly reading is not one of your strengths, because I said do not start this argument. You have your opinion, I have mine... There's nothing more to it, so stop acting like you are god and your opinion is fact.

·
Banned
1,414 Posts
^^^he keeps doing this for every wheel/tire thread and it sucks cause he is misleading people like crazy! running odd offsets is like hearing those commercials on TV where the side effects are worst than it's actual purpose
I'm not misleading people, I've never once told anyone that a low offset setup will be a perfect or easy fit... However, many people including myself prefer the look of flush wheels over sunk ones. The only side effects are tire size, and that you have to do work to make it fit, and if you're not willing to do some work on your car, then why are you modding it in the first place.

I'm just so tired of seeing every fitament thread that doesn't involve 18x8 +50 and 18x9.5 +50 end in the phrase no that will not fit... Step outside of the box

·
Banned
1,414 Posts
exactly

·
Premium Member
5,684 Posts
Here is are a couple pics of my set-up. This shows you how "sunk in" 19x9.5 +55 really is...

As you can see, 9.5" with a +55 offset is pretty flush with the fender when you are pretty close to 0 degrees camber.

·
Banned
1,414 Posts
Yeah, I suppose the taller rim, larger tire, and zero'd camber makes it pretty flush... I don't have any pictures at the moment, but I was running an 18x9.5 +55 with a 245/40/18 w/ around 2-3 degrees of negative camber and there was plenty of clearance.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Yeah, I suppose the taller rim, larger tire, and zero'd camber makes it pretty flush... I don't have any pictures at the moment, but I was running an 18x9.5 +55 with a 245/40/18 w/ around 2-3 degrees of negative camber and there was plenty of clearance.
I was running an 18 x 9 +42 with 235/40/18 with 2.xx degrees of negative camber and I am rubbing on small turn, speed bump, pessenger in the back...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts