Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i helped a friend jump his car and he put the cables on backwards and when i started up the car it smoked up of course, i freaked and pulled them off...what damage could this have caused? Ecu, battery, fuses alternator? i hope i didnt kill it. it seems fine right now i just hope to god nothing serious could have happened

·
Registered
82 Posts
The damage should be done to your dyslexic friend! A good thump of his mellon should do the trick...

Sounds like you might have caught it just in time.... Still running ok?

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Well, when I first read the subject, I thought you were talking about jumping a car, like stunt car stuff... I got excited, now I find it's only a battery :wink:

If it started up and seems to be running okay, it's probably fine. I don't think I've ever heard of any latent damage that appears long-term after this happens.

Don't be worried. It's not your fault. You said your buddy put them on. I think I'd go clip those things to his nuts and give him a little wake up call :lol: :crazy: :eek:

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:lol: :lol:

good idea ill give it a try, it does seem to run fine though i think it might be ok now...thanks for the heads up

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
it should be fine...

one time my dad and i were jump starting our honda accord 91 with a mercedez benz...

i hooked them up properly on the mercedez but my dad did it backwards....there wasnt alot of smoke when it happened but there were a few sparks...

my dad had his hand on the wire and it got really hot and burned him, then he freaked and pulled them off...

good thing we caught it on time....no smoke...just really hot wires :lol:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts