Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im getting a 10 inch JL W7.I wanted to know if a JL 1000/1 will be to much to power it with.A couple of my friends have the same sub and they are using a 500/1 and I dont think its loud enough lol.Will the 1000/1 be too much or just right?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Well if your getting the 1000/1 you might want to considering upgrading the sub to the 12" W7 or the 13"...it would be much louder than just changing the amp your running.

·
\/ Awesome \/
11,398 Posts
Well if your getting the 1000/1 you might want to considering upgrading the sub to the 12" W7 or the 13"...it would be much louder than just changing the amp your running.
That's a good point. I thought for whatever reason that he already had the sub.

·
Premium Member
25,468 Posts
JL recommends the 500/1 for 10W7s.

The thing could handle a 1000/1, but only in a smaller sealed enclosure with a higher Qtc (around .9). In a ported enclosure or a larger sealed box, forget about it, you'll toast that thing.

Just save the money and get a 500/1.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Im running a 10W7 in a moulded fibreglass sealed enclosure with a DLS A3 Ultimate amp which puts out similar power to the 1000/1 and have had no problems. I have the gains turned down though, but yeah a 12W7 would be better if you can physically fit it in?

Reactions: gangsta504IS

·
Registered
418 Posts
The DLS twin mono doesn't put out anything near 1000watts at 3ohms.

It's rated at 870w x 1 at 2ohm. 1200w x 1 at 1ohm.

DLS Ultimate A3
With what I have heard from the DLS amps there power ratings are very conservative, kinda like the Skyline GTR power specs of 206 kw in Japan......

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Just save the money and get a 500/1.
i agree with this. the 500/1 should give you just enough power to get it loud. if you're getting a 1000/1 you're going to waste of lot of the extra watts you paid for, because most likely you're going to have your gains set so low just to blend well with your fronts.

·
Registered
365 Posts
i agree with this. the 500/1 should give you just enough power to get it loud.

The problem is he's heard this sub with the 500/1 in his friends cars and he didn't think it was loud enough...

You got some options...

1. Buy a 12" W7 or a 13" W7 with the 1000/1
2. Run the 10" W7 ported...(I don't know if you had already planned on doing that...)
3. Reconsider why your getting JL products...I LOVE JL AMPS, but they're subs are considerably pricy for what they put out...you can get an equal or even more output for the same or cheaper price...

·
Premium Member
25,468 Posts
With what I have heard from the DLS amps there power ratings are very conservative, kinda like the Skyline GTR power specs of 206 kw in Japan......

A little underrated... maybe. But they don't almost double their rated output. All you have to do is look at their fuse ratings and you'dd realize that they pretty much have to put out what they say.

Twin Monos are really popular on the competition scene, just look around ECA or DIYMA and you can find bench test results for them.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
im just going to get a 12 instead of 10 and run the 1000/1.Thanks for the advice + rep to evryones opinion

·
8,803 Posts
That's because W7s suck balls and can't get loud.

But that's a different discussion.
i really like the response and clean sound of my w7... but yes, they dont get very loud.

1000.1 + 12w7 in my car and it sounds good, but definately not booming. this was my first single sub system (all have been dual JL 12s) and I miss the crazy bass sometimes.

·
Premium Member
25,468 Posts
You make me feel bad for hating W7s cause your install is my favorite one here...

They can be absolutely wonderful SQ woofers if used properly, but IMO, there are much better woofers out there for much less money.

·
Registered
271 Posts
i personally have had alpine, JL, and boston...and i would say boston was by far my favorite of them all. Alpine blew lasted alil over a year, the JL's were alright had W3's, but this boston g5 is amazing; I could not want more from a single 12''.

·
8,803 Posts
You make me feel bad for hating W7s cause your install is my favorite one here...

They can be absolutely wonderful SQ woofers if used properly, but IMO, there are much better woofers out there for much less money.
hey, you are right.

they do sound great for the right stuff... i listen to alot of DVD audio source stuff, dts concerts... movies... all of which sound amazing. but for hard slamming bass you can hear 2 miles away, it just aint happening.

i doubt i would do w7's again.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
hey, you are right.

they do sound great for the right stuff... i listen to alot of DVD audio source stuff, dts concerts... movies... all of which sound amazing. but for hard slamming bass you can hear 2 miles away, it just aint happening.

i doubt i would do w7's again.
what's your reasoning? I mean I know there are cheaper subs that everyone is afraid to buy but much better than JL.

·
8,803 Posts
I have just heard some others lately that are incredible. Dont get me wrong, i really like my w7, but I am wanting more boom on my next system.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts