Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I finally got around to putting up some photos of my car. Install was fairly straight forward. Did it all myself.
What I got:
02' IS300, JL 10w7, JL 500/1, Monster Wires w/ JL RCA, JDM Kit, Pioneer 3900, and the Metra harness. Painting calipers black sometime soon.

^^new wallpaper

^^ this is temporary. I'm looking to get a double-din screen soon.

Someone posted earlier that he didn't think a 10w7 with a 500/1 was loud enough..... that guy must be crazy this sub get's so loud for a single 10. I sware with all the cabin gain from this setup I'm probably getting 125 dBs. I'm gonna get it measured soon.

I will never buy a sub any less than a W7 from now on. This thing is so musical, tight, and loud. Wow.

Total cost: $810

·
Registered
44 Posts
Pioneer makes a ipod adapter for that radio. Besides for that, thats a nice and clean setup man!!!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah it is sealed, it's about 1.4 cubic feet net....
thanks for the comments and rep!

one thing that's quite quite odd is when I open my trunk, the bass gets much louder... this could be because my box isn't completely sealed off from the trunk?? there is a gap between the front of the box and back of seat.

·
\/ Awesome \/
11,398 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
That's one clean IS! Remind me of my own when i first got it. You have my ideal setup (interms of bass). Are the wires actually feeing into the box? It's pretty clean, but how are you doing that? How much did the subs cost you (if you don't mind me asking), and where you got it. I want to do a little research for my future purchase.

·
Registered
50 Posts
looks good except for the wires sticking out. i have the same sub and amp with the ski pass out. you should try facing the sub the other way it sounds better.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well right now it sounds perfect, not boomy or anything... just noticably louder at all frequencies.
The box is actually raised by I think 2.5" to make it slide over the hump, so what I did was just drill holes in that part.
The black wire can only be seen at that angle, I'm not gonna worry about it.

Unfortunately I didn't know that cancellation was going to be an issue (I posted on here but no replies!!!!) so for future reference^^^

I bought the 10W7 off ebay for $380 shipped from an ebay store. I would defineatly recommend this sub. I'm normally a two 12's guy and I was totally blown away by how full the sound is from this single 10.
Thanks for the comments

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
All you really need is one good quality subs. I had two 12" mtx's in the back of my old car before, cranking out 1000w. Now that i have one 10 Alpine sub, it sounds so much more clear. Of course i can't shake up the car as much, but the quality is much more enjoyable. When i have a chance i'm going to purchase a the same 10w7 & 500/1. Good job again.

As a suggestion, you may want to consider making a beauty board. Just a flat sheet of mdf to cover the whole thing so it looks like the trunk ends short (kinda like how the sc300's looks). You will loose a little trunk space from the side of the sub, but it would look a little cleaner.

·
Registered
241 Posts
As a suggestion, you may want to consider making a beauty board. Just a flat sheet of mdf to cover the whole thing so it looks like the trunk ends short (kinda like how the sc300's looks). You will loose a little trunk space from the side of the sub, but it would look a little cleaner.
i agree with that

·
Registered
439 Posts
nice setup bro, i would recommend a dash unit though...

otherwise the JL 10w7 and 500/1 is exactly what i want

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Does the phase cancellation occur because the enclosure is not sealed off to the passenger compartment? Would you need to seal off the rear deck & the ski pass to make that setup work properly???
in theory, sealing off the enclosure to front compartment will help with phase cancellation.

with the trunk not sealed off you get phase cancellations due to two separate cabins...trunk and passenger compartment. if the enclosure is sealed off to the passenger compartment then you only have phase cancellations in the front compartment to deal with. with phase cancellations only in one space instead of two, it will be much easier to deal with. you can switch the phase of your sub and mid-basses until you can hear the bass in front of you. ideally you should be able to audibly visualize (if that makes sense) the sub in your dash. some people claim they can get it to sound like their sub is a hood ornament. in any case, the bass should be in front of you.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Does the phase cancellation occur because the enclosure is not sealed off to the passenger compartment? Would you need to seal off the rear deck & the ski pass to make that setup work properly???
I'm gonna have to try putting some wedge shaped MDF to see if there's a difference. But when my trunk is opened, I can "feel" the sub more and it feels more peaky like so.

Also, I'm not going to putting a beauty board. It might look nicer, but it's not my cup of tea. I also made the wires under the amp like that on purpose. I like how it looks and it's a little more inconspicuous in person.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
nice setup man mines a little alike accept im running the 13w7 and a 1000/1 amp

Reactions: Mikey6981
1 - 20 of 21 Posts