Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I know the W7 is a favorite among the board, i'm currently shopping for a new sub and was looking at the W7 Specifications. Wanted to clear up some questions before i make a rash decision.

1) Is the W7 a Dual Voice Coil sub? Every picture i look at, i can only see 1 set of terminals, but then it's hard to see both sides of a round sub....

2) 3 ohm impedence??? How am i supposed to use that on my amp? I assume if my amp can run 2 ohm, then it'll do 3 ohm fine? I'm currently running a single Diamond D7 6 Channel amp in my car, rated at 50x6 @ 4 ohms, 100x6 @ 2 ohms, and 200x3 @ 4 ohms bridged. I'm looking at the 10W7... but not sure about how i should wire up, and if it'll work on my amp well or not. ( i'm lusting to buy a audison LRX monoblock... )

Anyone have opinions on the diamond subs?? such as the old TDX, or the new D9? I currently use a Inifinity Perfect 12" that's 6 years old now, which i'm giving to my friend.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

·
Useless
5,346 Posts
3 ohms means you need to use a JL amp or a conventional amp that is at least 2 ohms stable. Some 4 ohm stable amps will handle the 3 ohm load just fine, but you are the one to gamble. That DA amp you have really is not a choice to run a JL W7(recommended 500 watts RMS min), or the new D9 from DA. You are seriously lacking power for these power hungry subs. The most your amp can do is 100 watts at 2 ohm or 200 with channels 5&6 bridged for a 4 ohm load. Todays subs can produce 3 fold of yesteryears subs, but they require power to move them to their full potential.

The D9 sub will give the W7 serious runs for the money in SPL and IMHO is a much better SQ driver. If it was my monies on the line the DA sub would be in my car and I would even have some $$$ left in my pocket.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the prompt reply lisnup65, looks like we're both at work with nothing to do.

So it looks like getting a serious sub is going to require 1-2 thousand dollars.

Are there any other seriouse SQ subs you recommend other then the Diamond D9, or W7. Alot of people say stuff about image dynamics.....

I'll probably most likely pick up another D7 amp since they can found more cheaply now, not to mention they look beautiful in pairs. But they are a bit old school and do not have a remoate sensitivity adjustment knob.... blah. You got any suggestions on amps too? I am very tempted just to buy an audison LRX monoblock, but those things are pretty damn pricey.

·
Useless
5,346 Posts
af22 said:
thanks for the prompt reply lisnup65, looks like we're both at work with nothing to do.

So it looks like getting a serious sub is going to require 1-2 thousand dollars.

Are there any other seriouse SQ subs you recommend other then the Diamond D9, or W7. Alot of people say stuff about image dynamics.....

I'll probably most likely pick up another D7 amp since they can found more cheaply now, not to mention they look beautiful in pairs. But they are a bit old school and do not have a remoate sensitivity adjustment knob.... blah. You got any suggestions on amps too? I am very tempted just to buy an audison LRX monoblock, but those things are pretty damn pricey.

The Image Dynamics ID Max is a very nice sub also. It is excellent SQ wise sealed and if you want SPL, port that enclosure and it will take off like a rocket. The ID Max is the cheapest of the 3. The Adire Brahma is also worth a look as are subs from Digital Designs. The DD9100 series is a nice quick audiophile driver.

Dependant on what you get the amp for, you should not need spend 2K. A $500.00ish sub, and enclosure, and a fair amp should allow you to come in under $1K. If you are looking for DD, ID, or DA stuff, let me know and I can help guide you.

Lisnup65

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
There's lots of quality SQ subs out there that rank with the "high end" car audio drivers for a lot less $$$$, check out the Sound Splinter Premium series (TC Sounds TC2+ clone), Ascendant Audio Avalanche or Atlas, Peerless XXLS, Dayton Reference......I've been checking out DIY audio drivers, and in the last 3 months, my eyes have been opened...

I'm not saying that the brand name car audio companies aren't high quality, but when you do your research, you'll see lots of drivers are really just slightly altered derivatives of home drivers, and a lot of times the home drivers can cost much less.......

IDMax and JLW7 don't have cheaper clones, though, but I have heard of many drivers that equal them for near half the price.

·
Banned
401 Posts
the 12w7 is also a bitch bc you cant use a conventional sub box. you have to use their own cut one since the diameter of the 12 where it mounts is in reality 11.5 (give or take a decimal) so it wont fit into just any 12" sub box. i found out the hard way

·
Registered
23,822 Posts
xhIS300x said:
the 12w7 is also a bitch bc you cant use a conventional sub box. you have to use their own cut one since the diameter of the 12 where it mounts is in reality 11.5 (give or take a decimal) so it wont fit into just any 12" sub box. i found out the hard way
If you're buying the 12w7 and then trying to use a cheap prefabricated box, you've got your priorities mixed up.

It would probably cost you another $100 to get a properly built box.

Not criticizing...just trying to point it out to other members.

·
Banned
401 Posts
yeah i think you said what i was trying to say in simpler terms haha

1 - 8 of 8 Posts