Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont know anything about car systems, but somebody told me to get w7 but the sound guy told me to get the L7. I heard the L7 and it seemed pretty good, but i was just wondering if there is a pretty large price difference or quality.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I'm not a fan of the W7 or L7, but if price was not a concern, go for a W7.

·
Registered
975 Posts
alext10823 said:
I dont know anything about car systems, but somebody told me to get w7 but the sound guy told me to get the L7. I heard the L7 and it seemed pretty good, but i was just wondering if there is a pretty large price difference or quality.
Please do not take offense to what I am about to write (those are not my intentions). I'm just trying to help...

I would totally stay away from JL w7 for a number of reasons...

1 - WAY overpriced!! Save yourself some money. See for yourself:
http://www.sounddomain.com/brand?id=JLA&ref=over10

2- Most people, especially people who "don't know anything about car systems", wouldn't be able to distinguish the sound difference between 2 or more sytems of that high of a caliber of quality. Hence, go for the less expensive model.

3- Owning a w7 is just a status thing, but is frowned upon by true audiophiles. Not that they don't sound good, but that for half the price you can get the same performance. You see it in all the magazines, all the rap stars have em...it's a Bling Bling thing.

So to answer your questions:

1- Yes, there is a "pretty LARGE" difference in price. The JLs are twice the price! (couldn't the sound guy and that other "someone" tell you that?)

2- No, you will NOT hear a difference in SQ. There is a difference, but most people will not hear it.

Getting w7s is like getting a top of the line computer for someone who just likes to surf the net using dial up connection. Or more like getting a Formula 1 racing car as a daily driver car, when you never take it to the track. So why not just settle for an IS300?

Get something other than the JL (ID Max, L7s...) and use the savings for something else like what's more important - like for getting better front speakers (if you don't already have something decent there). I've said this a million times before, slap the highest price tag on a woofer, and even though it is not any, if at all better, the kids will allllllllllll want it! Especially the ones that "dont know anything about car systems".

·
Registered
526 Posts
I will admit it though, the W7 has it's good sides. The JL W7 has a pretty high XMAX (resulting in lower distortion), making it an excellent street pounder.

But the Adire Brahma has, relatively, the same XMAX (and more) and can be had for half the price of a W7 (and still have better SQ due to the flatter BL).

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the replys, and no offense taken. like i said i dont know shit so i dont have anything to say. Well i decided on not getting a system since i guess the stock one is good enough for me. might as well save the money and get more performance or suspension braces.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the replys, and no offense taken. like i said i dont know shit so i dont have anything to say. Well i decided on not getting a system since i guess the stock one is good enough for me. might as well save the money and get more performance or suspension braces.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Alext10823, if you want something that can pound and have pretty clean quality, check out Adire Audio.

www.adireaudio.com

Their Brahma subwoofers are awesome for daily-driving, cost less than the W7, and can match the specs' and even out-perform the W7. Just FYI.

·
Useless
5,346 Posts
Here is a comparison of the JL10W7 and the MTX T9510-44.

JL MTX

Xmax (1-way) .90" 1.00"
Xmax(Peak to Peak) 2.8" 4.00"
RMS/Peak power 500/1000 750/1500
Smallest usable enclosure
sealed 1 cu' .625 cu'
Ported 1.25 cu' .75 cu'

Voice coil diameter 2.75" 3.5"
Surround Material Foam Rubber
Shorting ring No Yes
Heat sink No Yes
Install Complex Standard

Price retail $550.00 $500.00

You can get the MTX much cheaper than the JL because most MTX dealers are not snobs, nor are they required to sell for at least X $.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts