Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So now back from holidays, I decided to try at least to install the JIC bar. I managed to install it w/ the help of CanadaIS300 leaving the engine cover in AND not modifying the K&N intake!!!!

Clearance is nice and tight, but I've foam taped up everything!

she's got no power...............but she can turn!

Reactions: Squareback

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
lexusecutive... congrats on getting it to fit. I supposed this means your for sale thread on the JIC bar is no longer valid??? Having the bar fit over the engine cover was actually one of the things I asked you about in that thread.

Couple questions tho... do you feel a difference in the handling of the car with that bar? Is that bar giving enough clearance to the engine cover? It looks awfully close in this pic... and while it may be okay in that pic... the engine is going to move around as your rev it, have it under load, etc.

Can you take the oil filter out from the top (that how I usually do it) with that bar in place?

And lastly... are you going to boost? Honestly I think you are an ideal person. You don't have to do anything crazy wild... but you can still get a nice bump. You have a fancy suspension/handling set up... now you need power to make use of it... lol Power was the only major improvement magazine reviewers thought was necessary in the IS300.

IF you look in this pic... there's a nice hole in your engine bay that could fit a turbo quite nicely. :p

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Oh... and what's up with your battery???

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Does it rub the hood liner?

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya, for sale thread...... can be killed. But no one was biting anyway. Oh well. People will see what has to be paid for when shipping product.

The bar fitment is TIGHT. I think it even rubs a tiny bit on the K&N. The plastic engine cover has enough give that it's not an issue especially when you drop some foam tape in between. When you rev the motor, the motor rocks back and forth pivoting along the bar-axis (the line between the motor mounts) so it doesn't have an issue there.

There are no clearance issues w/ the oil filter coming out. I did a dry run.

The handling is definitely more square up front. But I am running winter tires and I don't really push corners in the city that hard. I definitely will feel it on track (where you SHOULD be pushing your car!)

That battery is a race battery. Drops like 40lbs. And we fabbed up a nice bracket to accept the MOTON resevoir.

The bar doesn't rub the hood liner at all.

The age old boost question:

Lets see how this new setup fairs against 400hp Supra's & MR2's this upcoming 2008 Track-ing season. My car is still a daily driver that see's upwards of 450km/week. It's fairly stock-looking from the outside and I like showing up to the track and dusting STi's and M3's. They really scratch their heads as to why they're not faster!

There will come a time when my car will require boost. But as a daily driver, I will not boost it. When I get a demo at work. This car will become a track-car....cage, Recaro's, harness's and all.

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
update. the bar does rub the hood liner a bit on the right side.

its worn through the black stuff. the fibre-y yellow stuff beneath it is visible.

Size is about the size of 3/4 of a dime. Really minor I think.

Today I dropped the rebound and compression on the MOTONs to 'O'. and the ride is even SOFTER but controlled. Dang, i love this suspension.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts