Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed my new JIC FLT-A2 kit over the weekend, removed my HKS Hypermax II kit...

Install went very well, was easier than I had expected.

Setup was pretty easy. I will always suggest using a digital/analog dial caliper(not a micrometer) to preset your coilovers before you install them. This ensures that you will have all 4 coilovers at the right and exact height.

Once all four were prest I installed the fronts, then set them to my desired ride height (using a tire pyrometer I was able to get a near perfect contact patch) The coilovers were lowered 25.6mm (~1") in the front, giving the front 245/35/19 tires about 30mm (~1.25") of clearance from the top of the fender well. The rears were then installed and set, lowering the coilovers 37mm (~1.5") giving the rear 275/30/19 tires about 35mm (~1.375") of clearance.

I drove the car for 1 mile for each of the 15 dampening settings, I finally agreeing on 7 clicks from soft in the rear, and 5 clicks from soft in the front.

Using my Beltronics Vector FX2, stock body roll (stock sway bars) was about 35-37 degrees. With the FLT-A2 (stock sway bars) the body roll dropped to a staggering 15-17 degrees.

Overall the kit has a great feel, ride is not too harsh and really makes the car stick in the corners....

In comparison the HKS Hypermax II seems more like a novelty item than a true race bred suspension system. The HKS kit has a very harsh ride but does not reduce body roll as well as the JIC kit (29-31 degs on the HKS kit). The 30 settings make the kit very hard to tune. There is not a noticible difference between clicks so to me this was like having 15 settings anyway. The HKS kit seemed to transfer more road noise than the JIC's. Looking at the kits side by side reveals a better build quality in the JIC. The perch stops glide over the threads without a stagger. The HKS threads are jagged making the perches hang a bit, and the jaggedness cuts your hands when adjusting. I also noticed a lot of slop in the HKS kit when loose. JIC's were rock solid.

Overall, I was extremely happy with the HKS kit, until I installed my JIC's. I would say that this is one of the best kits out there.

For those who are in question about the known noise problems with JIC's, THE PROBLEM HAS BEEN FIXED, mine are extremely quiet... did not have to tighten the pillow ball. This was a big reason for leaning toward the HKS kit in the past.

Chris

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
hmmm. the noise and burn issues have been fixed? on which coilover sets? must have gotten a new one.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AltezzaBob said:
hmmm. the noise and burn issues have been fixed? on which coilover sets? must have gotten a new one.
Believe me, I was concerned about the problems specific to the FLT-A2 kit... here's a recent post where I was asking about the problems before I bought the kit... http://www.is300.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=13363777&highlight=

Originally I wanted to try the JIC FLT-A2 kit but didn't want the associated problems, so I went to HKS. Everyone I spoke to at JIC said what the problems were and what was done to fix them, but folks were still complaining about the problems.

I got a deal on the kit and tried it.

I have had the kit on for 200+ miles now and still no problems! The kit out performs the HKS kit by a long shot; cornering, transferred noise, and ride quality are much better with the FLT-A2 kit. We installed the HKS kit on my partners IS. Now, after driving both cars, he wants the FLT-A2's because they just simply perform better.

I now believe that the HKS kit is a name brand that everyone recognizes, so they are sought after. HKS does build some of the best suspension systems, but they also build cheaper, inferior product that sells solely on name recognition. I feel I fell into this when I bought my HKS kit.

Chris

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
AltezzaBob said:
Whats a digital/analog micrometer? How is it used Chris?
I am sorry, the correct tool is a digital dial caliper, not a mic. I often get these confused, even though I use them often

Any way here is a digital dial caliper
http://www.msi-viking.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=500-171

Basiclly it is used to precisly measure the the inner, or outer dimensions of something.

In my case I used it to measure the distance between the top and bottom perch.

Most calipers (and micormeters) have a locking screw, this way you can get a measurement from one coilover, lock the caliper, then adjust the coilover to match the locked measurement.

Very nice tool to have... I find my self using it for every day measurements... as dorky as it my seem.

Chris

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.