Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What Up Yall,

I want to go close ratio dog tranny and have done some research and the jerico 5 speed shined bright! Trying to find out if anybody is running one as I have yet to hear or see an IS300, Altezza, or IS200 running one. I Have the 2jz-gte already swapped so I need to find out if it is possible, (SURE IT IS) First off I'm going to need a custom bell housing to mate the gearbox to, second need to have the input shaft custom with a 21 spline so that I can still use my OS Giken twin plate. Any suggestions or advice is most appreciated!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
Ever consider a V160 with the stock rear end?

It works out to be a pretty nice close ratio setup with a 6th for the highway. They bolt right up and a USDM Sequoia driveshaft fits.

The dogbox is a nice thought but do you only use this car on a track or backroads?

·
Mr. Negative
12,388 Posts
there was a company out of Australia or New Zealand I believe that offered a gear swap into the w58. It was a dogbox. w58 is close as hell to the w55 and may be the same dimensions and such inside. the w58 is a deadswap in place of the w55. They absolutely offered it for the v160 as well. Question is, how hardcore are you. it was at least 4k for the rework and damn would it be loud. If I was building a racecar I would consider it. Short of that, bleh..... v160 is heavy as hell....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ever consider a V160 with the stock rear end?

It works out to be a pretty nice close ratio setup with a 6th for the highway. They bolt right up and a USDM Sequoia driveshaft fits.

The dogbox is a nice thought but do you only use this car on a track or backroads?
The sequoia driveshaft? Is that the stock IS300 driveshaft? If not were can I buy and how much are they?

I'm running the R154 which has shorter gears than the V160 and runnin a 4.3 final gear in the diff so I'm pretty short now which is good. Just want to beef it up.

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
The sequoia driveshaft? Is that the stock IS300 driveshaft? If not were can I buy and how much are they?

I'm running the R154 which has shorter gears than the V160 and runnin a 4.3 final gear in the diff so I'm pretty short now which is good. Just want to beef it up.
The stock IS driveshaft is a propeller shaft. I've got the v160 an '02 Sequoia 4x4 rear driveshaft & the stock IS rear end. Bolts right up.

The driveshaft is pretty heavy duty. If the length of the R154 is the same or a tad shorter then that driveshaft could still work if the rear output flange is the same as the v160.

What type of racing are you doing?

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
i assumed drag. I might be wrong though. On another note HKS makes a dog box for the altezza. You mingt get lucky with them. Expensive though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts