Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully he needs no introduction... but for the few who don't know who he is... Jeremy Clarkson is one of the highly entertaining hosts of the British Car-show TOP GEAR. If you haven't seen Top Gear... I highly recommend you start watching. It airs on BBC. So... you can either download current episodes yourself from FinalGear.com or you can watch episodes on BBC Canada.

Anyways... every other week Jeremy Clarkson's articles will be published in the Wheels section of the Toronto Star. This week he is ranting and raving about the Subaru WRX and STi. He is always entertaining... check him out!

Reactions: Johnnysks

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No Top Gear fans also read the Toronto Star??? :confused:

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
We need a poll. How reads in here? No, forum does not count .....

Nay.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Yes, I read J.C.'s article. He was ripping not only the STi, but any possible owners, and even fans of rallying to shreds (I am a rally fan, but have not had the chance to be in the middle of what J.C. called nowhere, and getting a mud bath, not yet anyways). One broad stroke and he used his pen and assaulted a few groups of people.

Anyway, the article is typically British motor journalist writing style. I remembered reading CARS and a few other Brit cars magazine from years ago... if the car is crap, they not only tell it as it is, but poured more salt to the wounds. I really do not remember too many cars those British motor journalists actually liked...perhaps other than Jags, Rolls or Rovers.

One thing I do not remember though, did the UK magazines praised the Beemers like god, like their US counterparts (guess the writers do not have to own any of them for a few years, when the warning lights in the cockpit lit up like Christmas tree)?

Would like to see what punches is J.C. going to pull next. Should be an interesting read.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I like his style & talk. But for some reason, all british motor journalists & magazines always seem be be biased when it comes to british made cars - Jag, Aston. These cars almost always come up tops in peers comparisons. Strange though how these rave reviews don't seem to influence what the rest of the buys......

·
Registered
506 Posts
I recall a couple years ago Top Gear ranked all the cars for owner satisfaction. Top three were...
Rx300
S2000
IS300

It's one of the reasons I own one.

And if you haven't seen it, check out Top Gear's polar special; they take a modified Tundra to the North Pole. Pretty good episode.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In this weekend's Wheels Section of the Toronto Star... Jeremy Clarkson reviewed the BMW 135i coupe. However something seemed odd about this article... as if it was heavily edited. It didn't have the usual zing and mean-spirited comedic feel that Clarkson's work usually had.

I wonder if people complained after the article that was printed on the Subaru STi. He really humourously beat on that car and its drivers... but that's what makes Clarkson so entertaining! I hope his future articles don't get edited to the point that they are "ordinary". :pissed:

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
137 Posts
I read the "letters to the editors" with respected to J.C.'s article on the WRX STi. The readers were split 50/50, some loved his mean spirited, comical style of writing, while the haters were obviously from the Subaru's camp (surprised that I did not see the rally fans gave him a piece of their minds, including yours truly). It will be very unfortunate that TorStar editorial is reining J.C. in so early in the game already.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's so gay... I'm gonna write the Star this week telling them I want Clarkson's article uncensored. What's the point of publishing his articles if they are going to edit them to the point that they are just some other random car article. The whole reason people like Clarkson is because of how crude he is. He's the Simon Cowell of the car world.

Here's a good example of Clarkson at work...
YouTube - All-New BMW M5 review - Top Gear

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
What the editors have done at The Star seem to make sense to me.

- The audience in Europe is very different than the audience in North America. When it comes to openly sharing your opinions, they are significantly more liberal than North Americans. On this side of the ocean, "free speech" is hampered by many factors. There is constant pressure to remain "professional" in how you speak in a public medium. Not only that, but you have a constant threat from lawyers and trigger-happy corporations trying hard to protect their corporate image.

- From the perspective of The Star, would they want to hurt their advertising revenues? What percentage of Star readers actually know who Clarkson is and what his "style" involves? It's probably a very slim percentage. Why risk advertising revenue from vehicle manufacturers or automotive retailers to appease such a low-proportion of your clients? Much like how Lexus does not offer a MT for the IS350...why spend the resources in developing and supporting something that over 90% of the target buyers don't want.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I dunno Platinum... if the Toronto Star was so worried about not offending their client el... they shouldn't have started publishing Clarkson's articles in the first place. I mean... what's the point of publicizing that you are starting to public Jeremy Clarkson articles... only to later edit out everything that makes his articles unique?

In essence this is what happened. Imagine you have an IS250 owner... and the dealer tells them they'll swap their car for an IS350. At first they are all excited... "WOOO!!! I'm getting an IS350!!!". Then as they get to the dealership... the manager goes... "Oh... btw... we've taken out the 3.5L V6 and replaced it with the 2.5L V6... and we also took out the large brakes and replaced them with the smaller ones..." Now the IS250 owner thinks to himself... what was the big deal about getting this newer car?!?!? It's the same car he has with a different badge on it.

See... in both cases... what was special about was supposed to be offered was taken out to the point that it is no longer something special.

They already have plenty of politically correct and super-friendly car reviewers in the Toronto Star. If they are so worried about offending people with Clarkson... they should pull his articles. It saddens me to see his great journalistic and entertainment skills being watered down so much.

I am definitely writing the Star this week. Surprisingly enough... they do seem to actually pay attention. I had back and forth e-mail discussions with two of their writers before.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here were some of the letters written after Clarkson's article on the Subaru STi.

Feb 02, 2008

Only use for STi's switches is to turn on rally geeks

Jeremy Clarkson, Jan. 26

Where did this pompous ass come from? Is he a former or current employee of Mitsubishi?

Why would you let a guy who has such a hate on for this car write the review (I know it's under an opinion header)?

Sure the gear set-up may be awkward and he may not like the looks, but I'm sure this car would blow 90 per cent of the readers away if you gave them a test drive.

Yes, I drive an Impreza, my brother has the new WRX and it's an absolute dream to drive and the looks are pretty decent.

It's fine to slam certain features during a review, however, it should be tempered with what's good about it as well.

Reading that review was 10 minutes of my life that I'll never get back.

Derek Burton, Stouffville

I just spent half an hour reading Jeremy Clarkson's piece on the Subaru Impreza.

Yeah, it took me half an hour because I spent most of the time rolling on the floor wiping tears out of my eyes!

Whatever you are paying this guy, please quadruple it.

This is automotive journalism on the cutting edge – just the kind of thing the Wheels section is, and should be, known for.

Leif Schumacher, Toronto

Here is why I picked the STi as winner overall during my Detroit auto show visit:

1) every other style of racing is a step down on skills required in rallying; every other contender car product fails by comparision.

2) purpose-built chassis/engine and obsessively driver-centric.

3) says fun all over it; perfect niche marketing; extremely good value.

Jeremy Clarkson disappoints big time. It's one thing to be controversial, but he's a spoiled brat in my opinion, because he just moves on to his next freebie car and big budget products as if a buy decision does not involve passion. He is passionless and overly dramatic. Dump him when contract comes up.

Gord Boyd, Southampton, Ont.

This new writer in the wheels section is absolutely hysterical. I love his columns. So glad you have him on.

The best quote of the week was "about as exciting as Tuesday."

I busted my butt laughing at the article this morning. Honest and real. No vanilla opinions with this dude.

Look forward to Wheels again as I have been bored the past year and with so much advertising and not much editorial. You guys are not doing yourselves any favours.

Claude Pardo, Brampton

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Interesting comments from readers...seems as if they've never really even heard of Clarkson before.

Why bring Clarkson in? Because if I was The Star, I could flaunt that we have a new writer from Europe that has X years of automotive experience, Y years in journalism, and Z knowledge of the industry. It's all about the credentials!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Y'know, if the Toronto Star really WAS editing/censoring Clarkson's article, you can always just tell the Star to shove since you CAN read all of Clarkson's articles on The Times Online.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
What do you expect from most Canadians.95% of Canadians drive automatics Canadians like to be driven,it is the opposite in europe where 90% drive manual's and love too drive!. Europeans in general are far more critical and actually appreciate quality journalism.In Canada we are too afraid to offend anybody.:pissed:

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
But really,How many enthusiasts actually read the Star,not too many I'd say

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Y'know, if the Toronto Star really WAS editing/censoring Clarkson's article, you can always just tell the Star to shove since you CAN read all of Clarkson's articles on The Times Online.
Thanks for that info! :approve:

I think my favourite way of getting my dosage of Clarkson is by watching Top Gear tho.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts