Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was interested in upgrading to the black jdm headlights, but they aren't hid from what i understand. some of the sites that sell them mention that you can convert them to hid. anyone know what this entails? i know that the 2004 is300 now has the same headlight style as the jdm so should i just buy those? are they black/dark chrome?

thanks!

2,904 Posts
Look through the old posts, all of this stuff you're asking is old news and can be found if you just scroll through the past 3-4 months of posts. It's Not as long to look through the posts as it sounds. :wink:

· Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok cool. i did a search on hid and didn't find exactly what i was looking for. i'll look a little harder.

thanks!

· Registered
6,704 Posts
I believe the JDM headlights use 9006 for low beams. You can get the conversion kit for it.

But you can just open up your own headlights, and paint the housing black as many members have done, it's cheaper, and you get to keep your original HID's.

· Premium Member
52,297 Posts
kraze8 said:
I believe the JDM headlights use 9006 for low beams. You can get the conversion kit for it.

But you can just open up your own headlights, and paint the housing black as many members have done, it's cheaper, and you get to keep your original HID's.
Yep. That's probably the best way to go. Got to take them off either way, and the conversion and the JDM are expensive.

· Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so what kind of paint do you use for the inside of the headlights? that's probably somewhere on the forum as well so i should probably just search for it before someone tells me to...and then i can reply and say thanks and that i'll search a little harder! :p damn NEWBIES!!!

· Registered
1,275 Posts
cwhite124 said:
i was interested in upgrading to the black jdm headlights, but they aren't hid from what i understand. some of the sites that sell them mention that you can convert them to hid. anyone know what this entails? i know that the 2004 is300 now has the same headlight style as the jdm so should i just buy those? are they black/dark chrome?

thanks!
why do you want the JDMS for? Just to be JDM or you like the color? If its just for color I recommend you get the USDM one.

· Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
but actually, it's not just the color that i like but the style as well. i like the horizontal orange line on the jdm headlights. it stands out a little more and looks more aggressive.

· Registered
6,704 Posts
not sure what type of paint you should use for the inside of the headlights, but i figure any type of paint will work. Although, I recommend using a hig temp. resistant paint. There is someone on the board that actually does the painting for you if you would like... his SN is LCA57xx (not sure of what the numbers are :lol: )

it's much cheaper to go this route.

· Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
just wanted to thank everyone for all the info...if i ever decide to go down one of these paths i'll be sure to post a pic of the results.

· Registered
380 Posts
I got JDM Blackout Headlights wHID's.

I'm currently using a bulb from Proxeon called Bohmen. It's really good. and I think it's better then the stock.

Yeah my autoleveler doesn't work now, but I was able to get my lights level, by using the manual adjustment screws.

I too liked the JDM version becuase of the orange side marker, it will go great when I install the fender side markers, since they too are orange, but looks clear.

check out my pics in cardomain.com, page 4. I have kind of close up of my JDM Headlights, and with the HID on. (I know I need pics of it on at night) still working on that.

Below is a link to the pics'

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/346729

· Registered
1,632 Posts
I use semi-gloss black. basically you have to lay on about 5-10 really thin coats for the smooth effect.

Paint is last of your worries. Pulling apart the light and sealing it air tight without touching the inside of the clear len and keeping everything clean is the biggest challenge

Also harder and hardet to find HID kits except on Ebay from overseas seller.

· Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
lonewolf!

i like the conversion a lot! i have a set of dark jdm tail lights coming in the mail. the guy that i got them from also has the head lights. i have a ggp is300 as well and seeing you car makes me want to get the dark jdm head lights even more cause they really go well with our color. makes it look a little sinister. what hid conversion kit did you use? how difficult is it to do the conversion?

· Registered
380 Posts
Thanks cwhite124,

I think the JDM was made just for the GGP colored cars. The headlights and taillights both goes well with our color.

The kit was from Proxeon. http://www.proxenon.com/ and is called Bohem. I think the kit was either the 7500K kit, or the 9000K kit. Not sure since my friends installed it and I never saw the box.

As Far as I know it was not hard, just don't install the demon eye kit onto the JDM haedlights. LCA575 did a good job, but for some reason I now have some condensation inside my right headlight.

I'll probable will buy a new set pretty soon.

· Registered
74 Posts
HEY ALL,

this might be a shock but i did it. I have the jdm altezza black housing headlights and keep my stock hid. it is possible to do it.

you won't lose ur hid. however it is a pain to do it. took me like 2 hours.

if you want i can take some pics of my work.

also, i did some personal mod to it to make it look different from others.

i get some pics in here.

winstli

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.