Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

Has anyone used the JBL BP12001 amp. I was thinking of getting one to drive either 2 10inch Boston's or IDMax subs.

Any other amp suggestions that will not break the bank.
I am looking for a good amount of power but SQ is my primary concern.

Thanks,

02 onyx - Vis Dual Vented Carbon Fiber Hood - G2 Red Calipers - JSP "The CF Blade" - Omega Max 2 Way Alarm - Rear Tint - Clear side markers -XM Roady with AUX mod - Boston Subs next

·
Useless
4,731 Posts
Just remember that these amps are capable of producing their rated power with max battery voltage(14.4) for nano-seconds at a time. In the amplifier world, it truely is impossible to build a 1200 watt RMS amplifier and sell it for $200.00ish. Pyramid comes to mind when I see bogus claims like these. I always loved how an amp could claim 1000's of watts of power, but maintain no more than a 20 amp fuse. Its impossible to acheive with any of the current technologies available.
Most amplifier manufactures rate their products in very disheartening ways. They do not come close to giving you specs on real world power with real world distortion ratings. Remember that 90% of the time it is distortion and not power that distroys a speaker.
My advice is be cautious on what you purchase and really look into the products. Some times its better to run a smaller amp as the results will actually be gains.

Sorry for the wind'd rant.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lisnup65

Hey Lisnup65,
I have read many of your posts and know that you seem to know alot about subs. What do you recommend for around 500-700rms to push my 12" Boston. What about the Hifonics BX1500d run at 2 ohms? I want an amp that will push clear at resoanably loud levels, I am not playing my system for my neighbors enjoyment.

fivaxis,

the Lanzar has nice specs, have you heard any of their product before!

Thanks!!!!!

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
Hifonics kicks freakin ass. Very clean, and GOOD output power. Did I mention clean? There are better amps, but for the price, Hifonics hands down.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
yea I'm running the Hifonics Brutus 1000w.....down to 1 ohm powering 2 10" Phoenix gold titaniums.... They push hard!!!! its too much bass for me and i find myself always turning adjusting the bass down.

oh and whoever said the Lanzer Vibe is on crack..... Try the Phoenix gold Tantrum 1200....

·
Registered
166 Posts
I actually have hte BP1200 runing 2 infinity perfect 12's. The amp is very clean and very strong but well only put out its max power at 2 ohms. It is easy to overdrive the subs. lisnup65 is correct in stating that many of the cheaper amplifier manufacturers over rate their amps. Keep an eye on the THD numbers. That will give you a general idea of how much distortion that amp is putting out at a given impedence. As I said the BP1200 is very strong and if you can get past the looks, it will not dissapoint you.

·
Registered
525 Posts
The JBL BP1200.1 is an excellent budget amplifier, but it draws a bit of power (not always a bad thing though). For other alternative amplifier, Avionixx and Tsunami are not bad choices.

If it sounds like your subwoofers are struggling to manage the power, turn the gains down.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Old Orion HCCA are #1

THE OLD ORION HCCA AMPS (THESE ARE NO LONGER PRODUCED! THE NEW DESIGN SUCKS!!!) ARE THE BEST MONEY CAN BUY. IF ANYONE THINKS OTHERWISE PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts