Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this on bimmer.org:

The bimmer finished with 93 points, Audi 91, Lexus 89, Volvo 88, MB 83, Saab 82.

Quickest 0-60 = Volvo 6.6 (7.0 325i)
1/4 mile = Volvo 15.1 @ 96mph (15.4 @ 90mph 325i)
70mph-0 = Lexus 164ft (167 325i)
Skidpad = BMW .86g
Emergency Lane Change = BMW 62.8mph

BMW 325i "highs" = The joy of 5 speeding, vibration free power, harsh free ride, fumble free handling.

"lows" = Low aspiration interior appointments, bare-bones equipment list, seat adjuster awkward for heavy drivers.

"verdict" = Pours itself down the back roads like liquid poetry.

(they tested a $30,110 msrp car with only Sport package and sunroof)

Even with no options, it won. Why even compare the IS to the 330?

·
Registered
201 Posts
This was the January of 2001 C and D right? I'm asking because the IS didn't come out until June of 2000. The thing that you didn't seem to mention is they are comparing manuals to auto. That's like wanting the dimple votes to count, but not military absentee ballots because this won't help your cause. That's ridiculous and a misrepresentation of the facts.
Originally posted by BMeRBoY:

The bimmer finished with 93 points, Audi 91, Lexus 89, Volvo 88, MB 83, Saab 82.

Skidpad = BMW .86g

BMW 325i "highs" = The joy of 5 speeding, vibration free power, harsh free ride, fumble free handling.

"lows" = Low aspiration interior appointments, bare-bones equipment list, seat adjuster awkward for heavy drivers.

------------------

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
Can't wait to read that, but i want to point out that that 325i has:
No cruise control
No heated seats
No leather (BMW leatherette is scratchy)
No CD player (break out the tapes!)
Terrible stock (non-H&K) stereo
No Xenon lights
No power seats
No onboard computer

All of these things the Lexus has (and probably the other cars). A few of those things I couldn't live without (Cruise, leather, CD, decent stereo)

Originally posted by BMeRBoY:

Skidpad = BMW .86g

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Oh, and that's sufficient for BMW to win.
IMO, the Lexus wins hands down. Load the Volvo like the Lexus and it creeps up to $40K, not to mention it's fwd.
I'd still buy the lexus...I did!!

black/ivory
17"

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Have I seen you tooling around Piscataway, New Brunswick...Rt 18 or 287 ???

Mark

Originally posted by hasanazhar:
IMO, the Lexus wins hands down. Load the Volvo like the Lexus and it creeps up to $40K, not to mention it's fwd.

black/ivory
17"

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
It's possible. Although I'm in the City during the week (work there)...sometimes go to N. Brunswick/Piscataway on the weekends.
You dig my ride??

black/ivory
17"

·
Registered
861 Posts
I work right of a 287. and im in piscataway all day

Originally posted by MrMark:
Have I seen you tooling around Piscataway, New Brunswick...Rt 18 or 287 ???

Mark

------------------
Martin

Black/Ivory IS300

·
Registered
201 Posts
Finally, someone who understands what I've been saying for years. So much of what they write is subjective, it's ridiculous.
Originally posted by hasanazhar:

black/ivory
17"

------------------

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
the car must be lighter with out all the features as well. How many times do I have to tell you that these american car mags are biased as hell? They picked the PTcruiser as car of the year for christ sake.

·
Registered
201 Posts
You just don't get it do you? Your argument about the PT cruiser winning car of the year or the Lincoln last year. How many new German cars were in their class? None. With the LS the only German car they mention sometimes is the 5 series. Now go look at the way they rate the LS vs the 5 series. But it still got car of the year right? Your point reminds me of a racist guy who says I'm not racist because I have a black or mexican guy on my bowling team. Or I work with one. That may be true, but he wouldn't let his daughter date one of them because of the color of their skin. Bias just like racism is not clear cut and dry. But it's there. The magazines will give cars their props until they're compared to a German made car. Like I said before, one publication ranked the LS430 behind the 750Il and the MB. They said that the LS430 is for people who want serenity and sanctuary more so than speed. That's funny. The LS430 times in at 6.3 when neither of the other two claim that. Also, they're luxury sedans. Why is speed an issue? Then they talk about how much less the LS430 is by $30-60K but that was not a consideration in their comparison. Why? because the others would lose.
Originally posted by chromaplast:
the car must be lighter with out all the features as well. How many times do I have to tell you that these american car mags are biased as hell? They picked the PTcruiser as car of the year for christ sake.

------------------

·
Registered
11,902 Posts
I say let them have it. Who gives a crap? Not me..C&D has never influenced me. They can drive that bare bones BMW all they want...I'll be in my sweet ride enjoying myself while they fumble around with those crappy seats and after market stereos.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
okay fine if you want to get a barely optioned bimmer to just crawl into the spor tsedan market, i say go for it. it's nto for me, its fully(or just everythign i want) loaded or buy something cheaper taht you CAN afford. if you like your bimmer than good for you

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Who said anything about getting a barely optioned Bimmer? My point was that even with points being deducted for lack of features, it still handily defeated the IS.

No need to be jealous of us IS300 owners. Why are you in here anyways? =D
Bimmer owners aren't jealous of IS300 owners. Why? Because if we wanted an IS, we could trade in our used Bimmers and buy a new IS. Not all IS owners can afford a Bimmer on the other hand. I post here because it's nice to get the facts straight once in awhile. In case anyone's curious, I have a 99 328 with I/C/E.

[This message has been edited by BMeRBoY (edited November 23, 2000).]

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
that's gotta suck, the 330 is killing your resale value, what do you think about that? why didn't you wait for the 330? anyhow, which chip did you go with? same question for your intake and exhaust?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Not too nitpick here, but to the comment about C&D being biased against Japanese automakers, that's definitely not true. Look at their 10 best list. 2 out of the 10 are HONDA products, couple of American cars, and several German cars.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts