Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I do not think this will actually be a competitor. The price is still a tad high. However, it is a good platform.

This is the same platform that the Linclon LS shares. One of Linclon/Ford's better designs. However, quality will be an issue and it's a little under powered at 250 HP.

If I was buying a Jag, it would be the XK8R. Now, there is a car
One sexy cat.

I hear you, pretty car. Just not a competitor for our IS. It's more after BMW and Mercs.

·
Registered
155 Posts
You must have the X-type confused... It's squarely aimed at the IS and 3 series market! It's based on the Mondeo/Contour platform, 231HP (3.0), and sticker starts at $29K (although that is for the smaller 194HP engine)! The 3.0 is expected to come in at about $33K base, which is right in line with the IS/3 Series... The only catch is they are going to nickle and dime for options (like BMW does) and the 3.0 can approach $42K quickly. I just really wanted to point out that this car has nothing in common with the LS/S-Type platform (well, except heritage of course).

I think they have a nice competitor, although the IS is by far my favorite.

Scrap.

[ July 12, 2001: Message edited by: Scrap ]

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
The X-Type is very much an IS300 competitor, particularly the cheaper 2.5L version. I hope IS300 fans don't say "but it's so slow!", cause that's exactly what people said about the IS300 when it came out.
It's based on the Mondeo platform, not the LS, and according to European reviews, it's a great car in 3.0L AWD manual form. But I'd take an IS300 manual over the X-Type any day.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts