Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just read in the WSJ that Jaguar (Ford) intends to introduce a car in mid-2001 to compete with the BMW 3 Series and the Mercedes C Class. (Guess they're taking aim at the luxo end of the class, rather than the A4/S4 - IS300 sport end.) Model designation is the X400.

Anyone have any info?

·
Registered
198 Posts
This car gets periodic mention in the auto magazines. It will supposedly be based on the next Mondeo platform, all-wheel drive, and will offer a choice of a v6 or a supercharged v6. Pictures show a typical Jaguar design and looks similar to the recently introduced S-type meaning it will look like a Jaguar and will be attractive yet offer sporting pretentions.

Pricing should follow close to the BMW or Mercedes so this is just another offering in the compact sporting class.

Drawback? It won't be offered for a little while yet. Don't know about the possibility of a manual, but I would say most likely. Unfortunately, while the Lexus has good exterior styling to compete with BMW, Mercedes, and Lexus the interior will trump the Lexus.

My wish, IS300 with traditional rear tailights, redsigned interior with full leather option and most importantly a manual transmission. Asking too much? I've been procrastinating my new car purchase for over a year and it is paying off with new Lexus', BMW's, Mercedes, Audi's and now Jaguar. What a smorgasborg (sp?).

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, ralittle2.

It's getting almost as hard to decide whether NOW is the time to buy in this segment with so many new models and new entrants as it is to decide when to throw down money for a hot new computer that's going to be old news within 3-6 months. Too bad a car costs 35K while the latest and greatest from Dell usually comes in around 2-3K.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I agree with your dilemma, but I'm not sure now is the time to buy with several cars either on the market or coming to market soon. This should increase comepetition and also help us out with pricing. I don't have to be the first one on the block with a new car if I can wait several months or a year and save thousands.

Also I will not buy a car without a manual transmission so for now the IS300 will have to wait. September 1st is the introduction for the new Mercedes and any day now the new BMW 330's arrive, Audi is next summer and the manual transmission for the Lexus should be out by then. I can't remember when the Jag is coming out but it might be too far off.

We'll see, but in the meantime things are getting better every day for us car enthusiasts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
2 Participants
ralittle2
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing