Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i see that there are two jack points towards the middle of the wheels on each side. i am going to rotate my tires, so i want to jack one side at a time. it appears as tho i need to use two jacks to do this. is it okay to use the cars jack and a hydraulic jack or is it dangerous to use different ones? or does anyone know of one point in the middle on each side?

thanks

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
ive rotated my own tires.
i used the jack in the trunk and a floor jack i had. and i used an extra jack next to the floor jack (just in case)
its real quick if you know what you're doing. 15 minutes a side. raising and lowering of the jacks is what takes the most time.
as for points to put the jacks, i used the tow hooks in the front and the spot under the rear doors.
good luck.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for your input, so you need two people correct? each needs to raise the front and back at the same time

thanks

·
Registered
70 Posts
Jack stands are also a good idea, just as an extra precaution. They are cheap, (I bought 4 for 40 bucks) and worth it.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
For just rotating wheels, I jack up one whoel side near the middle of the car (slightly forward) with a hydrulic jack. I use a block of wood to protect the jack point.

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
davchang11 said:
thanks for your input, so you need two people correct? each needs to raise the front and back at the same time

thanks
No, you don't need two people. You can use a hydraulic jack and the tire changing jack to jack up one side.

If you want to raise the whole car, use a hydraulic jack at the back, then put jack stands under the rear side jacking points. Then go jack up the frorn and put jack stands under the front jacking points. Then you can just go ahead and rotate the tires.

BTW: The front jacking point is the front sub frame just behind the oil pan. You also have a rear sub frame or put the jack under the differential. Those points are shown in a diagram in the owners manual.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts