Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey.. When you guys put your car up on jack stands (to paint calipers, etc.) where did you put the jack and stands ? What I mean, there is only one major "hardpoint", so if you put your jack under there to lift up your car, where do you then place the jack stand since the hardpoint is now being occupied by the jack ?????

Any other hard points I need to know about ??

Absolute

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
alright sorry if this sounds kinda confusing but right behind yur side skirt, youll see a piece of the car that is dropped a little lower and it runs the length of the car. Its black and about 1cm thick but its the frame and u can lift the car anywhere from there but place the jackstands as close to the wheels as possible so it has good balance. Hope i helped a little :-?

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
There are 4 points, two on each side of the body. Those are shown in your ownder's manual as the points for jacking up the car to change a wheel. They are on a ridge that you can feel behind the front wheel and in frrnt of the rear wheel. Take a look under the car and you'l see where the notches are cut out for the jacks.

Also shown in the manual are two center jacking points. The front one is in the middle of the sub frame cross member. In the rear, you can jack up the differential. There's also a frame cross member in that area, but I believe they recommend jacking up the differential instead.

First you get a hydraulic floor jack and 4 jack stands.

Loosen the lug nuts on all four wheels just enough to break the torque.

Use the floor jack to jack up the front of the car. (using all the safety instructions, chocking the wheels, ebrake on, etc.).

Once you have the front raised, place a jack stand under each of the front side jacking points.

Let the car down gently on the jack stands.

Then repeat the same proceduer at the rear of the car.

Now your car is sitting on jack stands.

·
Registered
904 Posts
bartkat said:
Whats the reasoning behind this? To prevent knocking the car over trying to undo the nuts? :-?

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
OZIS200 said:
bartkat said:
Whats the reasoning behind this? To prevent knocking the car over trying to undo the nuts? :-?
Yes, that's true. Trying to cover some of the safety issues since this guy is an obvious noob. :lol:

Trying undoing the front wheels by yourself while they are off the ground can also be a frustrating experience. :)

·
Registered
989 Posts
(slap slap slap) stop being stupid man. if you dont know where the points are, u shouldnt even mess with it. wrong spot, wrong balance and there goes ur head rolling off somewhere (or other parts). o yeah if u still going to do it, shake the car before going under.

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
After reading some ot the replies I had to check to see if this was posted in the PL.

:(

·
Registered
15,585 Posts
bartkat said:
There are 4 points, two on each side of the body. Those are shown in your ownder's manual as the points for jacking up the car to change a wheel. They are on a ridge that you can feel behind the front wheel and in frrnt of the rear wheel. Take a look under the car and you'l see where the notches are cut out for the jacks.

Also shown in the manual are two center jacking points. The front one is in the middle of the sub frame cross member. In the rear, you can jack up the differential. There's also a frame cross member in that area, but I believe they recommend jacking up the differential instead.

Use the floor jack to jack up the front of the car. (using all the safety instructions, chocking the wheels, ebrake on, etc.).

Once you have the front raised, place a jack stand under each of the front side jacking points.

Then repeat the same proceduer at the rear of the car.

you still havent answered his question. You told him where to put the stands, but where do you suggest he jacks the front of the car from?

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
HoustonLex said:
bartkat said:

Then repeat the same procedure at the rear of the car.

you still havent answered his question. You told him where to put the stands, but where do you suggest he jacks the front of the car from?
I believe I did. See the second paragraph in my post.

"Also shown in the manual are two center jacking points. The front one is in the middle of the sub frame cross member. In the rear, you can jack up the differential. There's also a frame cross member in that area, but I believe they recommend jacking up the differential instead."

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks alot bros..

Got it done with no problem, and calipers look great !!!
If you spend enough time masking off the calipers, then painting them is easy..

And thanks for the jack/stand advice.. It was in the manual, but I wanted to know how people actually did it (if I wanted to know the info that was in the manual, then I would have just read it and not posted here)..

Alright, Thanks again!

Absolute

1 - 12 of 12 Posts