Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be buying headers and exhaust in the next month

.... I really wanted to go with the mazzuri but since I live from red light to red light I think its better that I keep the stock y-pipe... Whats the top header that maintains the stock y-pipe?

Then theres the exhaust... I'm looking at the cheaper ones.. Which of the exhausts is the most quiet? I'm sure I'll buy it used so cost shouldn't be too much of a problem.

·
13,727 Posts
Check out the Tanabe exhausts, those are the quietest ones I have heard. You can search the threads here and listen to sound clips, or go to youtube.com and search is300 exhausts. One guy on there has the Tanabe set up and it sounds great. Tanabe also has audio/video clips on their website.

Alot of people on here suck on HKS's tit, but to me those sound pretty ricey. The tanabe only gets loud when you get on it, and not anything crazy. I saw one on ebay the other night used for 420 plus 80 shipping. As nice as they are, they are expensive.

As far as the mazzuri header thing goes, I am sure you can get it and keep your stock y pipe. But if your going for quiet, I'm not sure a header is for you.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I'm going to be buying headers and exhaust in the next month

.... I really wanted to go with the mazzuri but since I live from red light to red light I think its better that I keep the stock y-pipe... Whats the top header that maintains the stock y-pipe?

Then theres the exhaust... I'm looking at the cheaper ones.. Which of the exhausts is the most quiet? I'm sure I'll buy it used so cost shouldn't be too much of a problem.
Stock Y will not work with the mazzuri system. Most people comment on the amount of torque gained... perfect for red light to red light.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
if you want quiet then you should stay away from headers. As far as exhaust goes Hks is pretty quiet, really low deep sound. Just search around and you'll be able to find what you want.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alot of people on here suck on HKS's tit, but to me those sound pretty ricey. The tanabe only gets loud when you get on it, and not anything crazy. I saw one on ebay the other night used for 420 plus 80 shipping. As nice as they are, they are expensive.

But if your going for quiet, I'm not sure a header is for you.
Thats a bit much for a used exhaust... Maybe I'll keep looking on that one..

As for the headers yes I realize the noise that plays in with headers :)
I'm not worried about being loud where it cant be helped but I want to do what I can to quiet the car in certain areas. Thats one of the reasons I have elected to leave the stock y-pipe with the cat in.

What choices are there other than mazzuri?

·
13,727 Posts
Other headers off the top of my head: Toyomoto and OBX

From what I have seen, you can even pick up a cheapy one off ebay (not to cheap mind you) because there are only really two styles to chose from, short runner and long runner.

If you are going to do it, get the Mazzuri. Its been proven to give you the most gains. Why go through all the hassle of installing a header if you can't get the most gains? Plus, you support a vendor off of the site. Its a win win!

I believe the youtube clip that I was referring to earlier was one with the tanabe header and mazzuri header. It wasn't too loud.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
If you are going to do it, get the Mazzuri. Its been proven to give you the most gains. Why go through all the hassle of installing a header if you can't get the most gains? Plus, you support a vendor off of the site. Its a win win!
It is true that you get some nice high end gains with mazzuri but I have also seen some numbers that show the extra back pressure provide quite a bit of extra tq for getting off the line...

I have looked but cant really find any numbers comparing tq with a stock y-pipe and tq with Mazzuri in cars that have very similar setups. All the numbers I see end up being something like "drop in filter, Toyo heads, stock y, and really cheap exhaust" compared to "SRT, Mazzuri, cam gear, a/f management, and nice exhaust"......

Ah what the hell... Can I get some real honest opinions about Mazzuri TQ from some people who really know the numbers... Maybe I'll just go for it.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Plus, you support a vendor off of the site.
Oh and if memory serves me correct... There not selling headers at the moment so I wouldn't be able to get any new from the vendor anyway....

At least thats what I gathered from the whole group buy thing... Please correct me if I'm wrong..

·
Premium Member
2,723 Posts
Oh and if memory serves me correct... There not selling headers at the moment so I wouldn't be able to get any new from the vendor anyway....

At least thats what I gathered from the whole group buy thing... Please correct me if I'm wrong..
No sure where you read that I don't sell them anymore, but they have always been for sale, never stopped.

Also, my system, does not create backpressure it makes the power because it's a well designed system.

You lose power with "backpressure" not gain it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
What do you mean by "one of the cheaper ones"? If money is the issue, then it really doesn't matter which one you get (personal opinion). You could grab a header and exhaust off ebay and it'd probably sound fine. If you are truely looking for performance gains... go with Mazzuri headers and a catback stainless exhaust. HKS is highly repped on here, but (another personal opinion) for the money, you should go ahead and buy the full catback. I think HKS only has one or two. I Love my Greddy TI-C. great sound, no drone, and when it's with the Mazzuri and SRT it really brings out the engine's best.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Stock Y will not work with the mazzuri system. Most people comment on the amount of torque gained... perfect for red light to red light.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Screwed this up, but someone mentioned this quote before,,,,, why cant you set up the mazzuri header on stock Y????

·
Registered
250 Posts
im thinking because it wont fit with stock y-pipe, its the mazzuri headers are longtubes..

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Screwed this up, but someone mentioned this quote before,,,,, why cant you set up the mazzuri header on stock Y????
Take a look at the pipe and flange, they don't line up at all. Thats why the stock Y-pipe does not bolt up with the Mazzuri unless you custom weld it to the actual header...but, then "why?" You defeat the purpose of the header and the way it was designed. Do a search and you'll see what I mean.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts