Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My parents are gonna buy me the car. I like the IS but i feel bad for them paying 35k+ for it. I like the 330 too but same reason. Therefore, im thinking about the ITR and prelude. Mainly, i want a fun car. But hows the normal day driving for these cars? heard ITR has no back seat? Would yall buy prelude or ITR?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Honda salesman told me that the Prelude will be discontinued in '01 due to slow sales.

------------------
Tony Mack
'01 SBM IS
'92 Prelude

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
NEITHER. if i didn't want to spend 35K, then i would get a 6speed celica, they are quite fun, quite fast, and they have a back seat, along with power everything, unlike the ITR.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Personally I don't like how the Integra looks (i guess cause theres so many of them on the road) but if you want a fast and fun car definately go for the ITR. I've driven both a friend's ITR and prelude and performance wise, the ITR outshines the Prelude...by a lot. It's an awesome car for its price and it looks really good in the yellow imho.

I love the look of G5 Preludes but it's a really bad value for the money. Hmmm...if only Honda came out witha type R prelude...I'd be all over it. Go for the ITR, you'll love it...it's fast, fun, and a bit more exclusive. Good luck, and let us know what you decide on.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Originally posted by Tony Mack:
Honda salesman told me that the Prelude will be discontinued in '01 due to slow sales.

yeah 2001 is probably going to be the last production year for the Prelude...so it might be kind of cool haing the last generation lude.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
for ITR...backseat? and hows normal driving? .....and the new celica..looks kinda odd i guesss...how fast is it? like 0-60

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Buy the ITR all the way. BTW, get a damn vanity plate that reads:
STOCK

·
Registered
53 Posts
Originally posted by VBGOD:
ITR = Excitement + exclusivity
Lude = Boring ride that barley does low 7’s in the 0-60
The Prelude is not exactly boring. I think my '92 is as much fun to drive as my IS, in a more primative way.

------------------
Tony Mack
'01 SBM IS
'92 Prelude

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i think the prelude does look better..the g5. The integra u see everyday everywhere,...but it IS a type R we're talking about..aiya..dilemna..

·
Registered
226 Posts
For an all around car, the Prelude is a better choice. Lot quieter, and more solid feeling. Engine also feels less strained and less high-strung than the B18C (ITR) since it's got almost half a liter on it. Nice handling car too. If you're thinking about value, just get the base model (different style, but same size 16" rims, lack of standard spoiler, and ATTS). And as for being exclusive, if you like the color, get the Electron Blue. This should be a real exclusive car since this will probably be the last year, and Electron Blue was introduced only this year.

[This message has been edited by DJ (edited November 21, 2000).]

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
I have driven both cars. I like both, however I gotta say the Prelude is terribly slow and it's looks do not match it's speed.
The Integra is a car you see everyday but however a Type R is not. A Type R will not only be a collector, but also hold it's value well as most Integra's do. If you are interested in a car that beg's to be driven hard, definently go with the Type R. It's what it was built for.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
brad.. i heard its easy(and kinda cheap) to get a ITR fast though. like turbo for about 3 or 4k? ..anywyas,i wouldnt make it faster for racing, more for my personal fun..

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
normal driving is fine, it has a racey interior, with drilled aluminum pedals etc. and it drives like most toyotas. i like the way it looks, and it's performance is on par with a gsr integra, they are very similar actually. it can come with alot of luxury items also though.

Originally posted by 92diamante:
for ITR...backseat? and hows normal driving? .....and the new celica..looks kinda odd i guesss...how fast is it? like 0-60

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
the ecu is the biggest hurdle, it is so finely tuned, that some things, like headers will give less power than the stock ones, without ecu modification.

Originally posted by 92diamante:
brad.. i heard its easy(and kinda cheap) to get a ITR fast though. like turbo for about 3 or 4k? ..anywyas,i wouldnt make it faster for racing, more for my personal fun..

·
Registered
455 Posts
If you get the Prelude, DO NOT get the electron blue pearl. i've seen it at a dealership and it's ugly as hell...doesn't match the lude very well. Besides you see every other Civic and CRV in that color. The red and white ludes are nice though...

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i kinda like the way the prelude looks...saw a black one wiht no emblems..at nite! looked NICE..but by wat everyone(almost) is saying..dont think its as much 'fun'

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
About this Discussion
38 Replies
18 Participants
ispeed
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing