Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jan issue Road & Track mag had a first drive write up on the new 135i.

The good: It will out run us although it's only 200lbs lighter than the 335 Same engine as the 335i, 300 horse 300 lb ft
It's a couple of thousand dollars less
It would satisfy the turbo envy that lurks within most of us

The bad: It doesn't look as good as the IS350. Interior or exterior. But
that's just my opinion.
Wouldn't want to own a forced induction engine after the
warranty expires.

Not trading my 350 for one but for someone just entering the market BMW has thrown a pretty good counter punch, hell they had to the 350 is such a great car for the money.

·
\/ Awesome \/
11,398 Posts
Uhhhh, what the hell? It's a small coupe. How are we comparing it to the IS350 in terms of "bang for the buck"?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not much difference

Uhhhh, what the hell? It's a small coupe. How are we comparing it to the IS350 in terms of "bang for the buck"?
The IS250 weighs around 50 lbs more than the 135i, the 350 around 100 lbs more, that's not much. They're all 4 passenger cars.

What I meant by bang for the buck was the total car and for the average buyer in the market for a lux sports car it's in the same ball park.

Must be that turbo envy gettin to you... j/k

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
I definitely wouldn't cross-shop the IS250 or 350 with the 1 series, its a far different car, with a different target audience. The 1 is a smaller car, it really doesn't compete with the IS. And its hideous, both inside and out. Actually given the track record my father's BMWs have had, I'd never consider a BMW anyway.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
The IS350 and 135i aren't competitors with each other. You'd be just as well off comparing the 135i with the SC430. Both are coupes... both have engines giving similar power numbers. :blush:

There really is no Lexus competitor to the 135. It basically goes:

335i ------------- IS350
328i/323i -------- IS250

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That 135 isn't as little as you guys think, I looked up the specs before I posted this, also, the 335i is a bigger and heavier car than the IS350 and it's always used as a direct comparo.

Of course you couldn't compare an 135i to a SC430 with a $32,000 price difference.

I was just trying to strike up a conversation about the new Beemer compared to our cars, isn't that one of the things we do here?

One thing we are in total agreement on though is I wouldn't buy a BMW....ever.

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
you're comparing a 2 door 4 seater to a 4 door 5 seater. The IS is bigger and heavier (though several of the BMW's interior dimensions are slightly larger than the Lexus, I'd attribute this to the funky roofline of the BMW). The IS is longer by almost 9 inches and wider by 2 inches. The BMW has the same cargo space, 13cubic feet, with the seats down as the IS350 has in the trunk (seats don't fold)

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
That 135 isn't as little as you guys think, I looked up the specs before I posted this, also, the 335i is a bigger and heavier car than the IS350 and it's always used as a direct comparo.

Of course you couldn't compare an 135i to a SC430 with a $32,000 price difference.

I was just trying to strike up a conversation about the new Beemer compared to our cars, isn't that one of the things we do here?

One thing we are in total agreement on though is I wouldn't buy a BMW....ever.
Yeah... you can draw comparisons... but make them reasonable ones. If you want to compare the 1-series to the A3... then that would make more sense. But the competing class to the IS-series has always been the 3-series.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah... you can draw comparisons... but make them reasonable ones. If you want to compare the 1-series to the A3... then that would make more sense. But the competing class to the IS-series has always been the 3-series.
Like I said the title of this post wasn't a statement, it was a question.

I just wanted to talk about the two cars because I do believe there will be a number of guys that will buy the 135 over the 350 mainly for performance reasons. Not the girls though because the poor thing is ugly.You guys are currently more interested in splitting hairs over if they are a perfect match or not.

So I give up, I think I'll watch a movie and I still think you all have way more class than that crowd over at My350Z.com.

·
Registered
28 Posts
People who buy the 135i only buy it for the performance aspect. It's got what the 335i has under the hood so most would think it's a better performer due to weighing less. In the looks department the 335i is better but yeh up to the buyer.

As for comparo between 135 and 350? you would have to sacrifice a hell of a lot of luxury and looks if you were gonna get the 135. Something i know i would not do, just to get a fast car.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Like I said the title of this post wasn't a statement, it was a question.

I just wanted to talk about the two cars because I do believe there will be a number of guys that will buy the 135 over the 350 mainly for performance reasons. Not the girls though because the poor thing is ugly.You guys are currently more interested in splitting hairs over if they are a perfect match or not.

So I give up, I think I'll watch a movie and I still think you all have way more class than that crowd over at My350Z.com.
the class must come with the car :cool:

Naw, but i agree, people on this forum and club-lexus are really cool and easy going, Can't say the same for some posters on E90post, thinking that driving a 323i makes them a god because of the bmw name. Always makes me laugh. I love all cars and always a big fan of BMW M's but i just hate closed minded people that think one car company is superior and all the rest are junk.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Also in terms of the 1 Series, its starting around 41 700, but fully loaded your looking at around 53 000 lol, gotta love that. If it only looked more aggressive it would be a very compelling car..atleast to me, yea i'm shallow :D. But the bmw 1 Tii looks a little better. Don't know if it'll make production.

·
Registered
575 Posts
the class must come with the car :cool:

Naw, but i agree, people on this forum and club-lexus are really cool and easy going, Can't say the same for some posters on E90post, thinking that driving a 323i makes them a god because of the bmw name. Always makes me laugh. I love all cars and always a big fan of BMW M's but i just hate closed minded people that think one car company is superior and all the rest are junk.
lol yes and no, most bm owners do think that way, but most of us on this forum think the same way, with opposite views. It`s normal you cant argue with that, if I had a 328xi as opposed to my 250 awd i would probably say "who the f*** would buy lexus".... i now say the opposite... if u like a particluar car company, it dosent make u close minded, just that you have a preference, once you stat going ON and ON about it, then it gets outta hand

·
Registered
159 Posts
lol yes and no, most bm owners do think that way, but most of us on this forum think the same way, with opposite views. It`s normal you cant argue with that, if I had a 328xi as opposed to my 250 awd i would probably say "who the f*** would buy lexus".... i now say the opposite... if u like a particluar car company, it dosent make u close minded, just that you have a preference, once you stat going ON and ON about it, then it gets outta hand
well i have a 350 and yesterday i gave a thumbs up to a 335i driver and suprisingly he gave me one back. Its rediculous to think just because you drive one brand its superior..i mean were not hitler lol. And the guys that do think that are just depressed in their own life. the 335i is a nice car and i could see why a lot of people would want to get it. Along with the infiniti g35/g37 I test drove all of them. But since i picked the is350 that doesn't mean its better then any of them. I just liked it the best.

·
Registered
10 Posts
NEVER buy a first year model BMW. Parents bought the first year 2001 BMW X5 3.0i and it had every possible electrical, engine, heating/cooling problem.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Indeed. BMW is in for a nasty surprise when they attract sub 30K car buyers who won't have the stomach for crazy repair bills out of warranty.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
NEVER buy a first year model BMW. Parents bought the first year 2001 BMW X5 3.0i and it had every possible electrical, engine, heating/cooling problem.
Remember, you don't actually own a BMW... you just borrow one occasionally from the service department :p

·
Registered
575 Posts
well i have a 350 and yesterday i gave a thumbs up to a 335i driver and suprisingly he gave me one back. Its rediculous to think just because you drive one brand its superior..i mean were not hitler lol. And the guys that do think that are just depressed in their own life. the 335i is a nice car and i could see why a lot of people would want to get it. Along with the infiniti g35/g37 I test drove all of them. But since i picked the is350 that doesn't mean its better then any of them. I just liked it the best.
lol thats exactly wat i meant, i dont think u read the bottom part. It's a preference, and a preference usually means u think it superior to another... I dont think bm's are crap at all, but obviously the fact that i chose the 250 shows i have a PREFERENCE. I LOVE the 335i, i have a lot of respect for the drivers of those cars, im not bashing them, but i PREFER my car ;) haha

·
Registered
547 Posts
Jan issue Road & Track mag had a first drive write up on the new 135i.

The good: It will out run us although it's only 200lbs lighter than the 335 Same engine as the 335i, 300 horse 300 lb ft
It's a couple of thousand dollars less
It would satisfy the turbo envy that lurks within most of us

The bad: It doesn't look as good as the IS350. Interior or exterior. But
that's just my opinion.
Wouldn't want to own a forced induction engine after the
warranty expires.

Not trading my 350 for one but for someone just entering the market BMW has thrown a pretty good counter punch, hell they had to the 350 is such a great car for the money.
Man, you must be on some really good crack....this is like apples and oranges. Why not campare trucks to an IS350 cuz they both have the same MPG or Kai...they both have 4 doors.

And just because you think the 135 is ugly doesnt mean it is, its just your opinion...and opinions are like ass holes, everyone has one....come on man...again, WHAT THE F*CK are you on???

BTW there isnt anything wrong with forced induction even after the warranty expires. I have seen a few brand new lexus on the side of the road so get off your high horse

1 - 19 of 19 Posts